Interested in a career in welding? This hands-on program provides the theory and practical application of all major modern welding and cutting processes, preparing you for work in various industries, including sheet metal manufacturing, structural and steel construction, and various trade union apprenticeships. This one-year program also will prepare you to sit for the New York State Department of Transportation Welding Exam and multiple certifications through the American Welding Society.
Upon completion of the one-year program, students should be competent in the following areas:
- Proficiency with common welding skills and techniques
- Ability to select appropriate tools and welding supplies and equipment
- Interpretation of mechanical drawings to determine steps needed to weld a product
- Effectively communication within the welding industry and related industries
- Quantitative skills directly applicable to welding problems
- Ability to setup and weld parts using MIG, TIG and Arc welding techniques
- Information literacy
- Pipefitter and steamfitter
- Sheet metal worker
- Structural iron and steel worker
The vast majority of coursework is practical, hands-on learning. There also are opportunities for internships with local companies, such as Briggs & Stratton.