Ready to Apply?Start the application process now!
MVCC's Engineering Science AS degree program is a first choice for aspiring engineers. The program's high academic standards give students the preparation they need to transfer to the college of their choice and succeed as an engineer, all at a great price. Students who complete the program receive an associate degree that allows them to transfer as juniors into a variety of bachelor's degree programs, including civil, mechanical, chemical, electrical, aerospace, petroleum, industrial, and nuclear engineering. We schedule several college visits per year to help students decide on their next step, and we offer assistance with resumes, letters of recommendation, and transfer applications. Many MVCC students gain excellent experience through summer internships at locations around the state, including Cornell University, Clarkson University, the College of Nanoscale Science & Engineering, and Rome Labs. There also are a variety of scholarships available to students from MVCC's Engineering Science program.
This program prepares students for transfer, as juniors, into baccalaureate engineering programs, including civil, mechanical, chemical, electrical, aerospace, petroleum, industrial, and nuclear engineering. Articulation agreements between MVCC and other schools ease the transfer of most or all credits when students transfer to four-year colleges. MVCC has agreements with several four-year institutions, including:
- Clarkson University
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- SUNY Albany
- SUNY Binghamton
- SUNY Buffalo
- SUNY Polytechnic Institute
- Syracuse University
Many MVCC students gain excellent experience through summer internships at great locations around the state, including:
- Cornell University
- Clarkson University
- College of Nanoscale Science & Engineering at SUNY Albany
- Rome Labs
- High School Mathematics Courses A and B or the equivalent are required.
- One year of laboratory science is required.
- Chemistry and Physics are recommended.
There are a variety of scholarships available to students from MVCC's Engineering Science Program, including:
- Clarkson Transfer Leadership Award: This award gives $11,000 annually for transfer students who demonstrate leadership and outstanding academic achievement and choose to enroll at Clarkson.
- Clarkson Transfer Achievement Awards: Clarkson awards $9,000 annually for transfer students who demonstrate leadership and outstanding academic achievement and choose to enroll at Clarkson.
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Medal: The Joseph H. Smith Jr. ’45 Award was created for the most outstanding student in engineering science programs at affiliated community colleges. Generally, the award is presented to the qualifying student with the highest cumulative average from MVCC.
- College of Nanoscale Science & Engineering Clinton Ray Carpenter Scholarship: Established by Dr. Clinton Ray Carpenter, this fund was created to provide scholarships to undergraduate students pursuing a bachelor’s degree at the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering who are engineering, science or physics graduates of a community college. Preference is given to students who are engineering, science, or physics graduates of MVCC.