New Student Employment Hiring Process

We are excited you’re interested in working on campus! There are many reasons and benefits to working as a student employee while attending MVCC, including to offset the cost of higher education and to obtain valuable experience, which can help build your resume. We offer our students a variety of employment opportunities at the College and look forward to working with you to find the right fit.

On-campus jobs for Spring 2024 will be posted starting on Jan. 10, 2024.

Steps for Student Employment

  1. Determine if you’re applying for work study or student assistant positions.
  2. Apply online for jobs through Handshake.
  3. Interview with hiring supervisors for jobs.
  4. If hired, attend new student employee orientation (register on Handshake).
  5. If hired, complete hiring paperwork with the Human Resources department.
  6. Begin work!

(Be sure to establish your schedule with your supervisor, be a reliable employee, and complete your timesheets each pay period.)

Additional Resources

Student Employment FAQ

Yes. Many offices and departments at MVCC employ students, including Athletics, Human Resources, Admissions, Information Technology, the Learning Commons, and the Library. There are many opportunities to find employment in an area you are interested in.

Positions will be available on the Student Employment webpage beginning Jan. 10, 2024. You can browse and apply for current openings at Feel free to use this guide to limit your search for on-campus jobs only.
For their first pay period, all student employees must fill out a paper timesheet and submit it to the Payroll Office. Once your paperwork has been processed by Human Resources, you will be able to complete an electronic timesheet in Banner. 
Students employed by MVCC are limited to a maximum of 20 hours per week. However, most students spend between five and 10 hours per week at their job. Students should evaluate their work schedule based on their individual situation. For some students, earning a paycheck is a high priority while other students may find their academic obligations leave little time for anything but studying.
If you have previously worked at MVCC, you do not need to attend another New Student Employee Orientation. You will need to apply for the position again, and then visit Human Resources after applying and speaking with your supervisor to make any changes to your information (taxes, direct deposit, address, etc.).
Once you have been offered a position on campus, you will need to attend a Student Employment Orientation to review expectations and to review required employment paperwork. After the orientation, you will receive an email with employment forms to complete. Once you have completed the electronic forms, you will need to bring the proper forms of identification needed for the I-9 (Employment Verification) Form to the Human Resources Office (PH349). There someone will verify that your online forms are complete and filled out correctly and will take copies of your IDs. You are not able to begin working until Human Resources has receive all of the necessary paperwork.
The Federal Work Study Program allows students with financial need to work part-time on campus to earn money to help pay for educational expenses. The program encourages work related to your course of study with a flexible schedule, allowing students to focus on their education. Students interested in Federal Work Study must apply for financial aid and meet all MVCC deadlines. Preference is given to those students who apply and submit all necessary paperwork early. To apply for work study, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and indicate your interest in work study. For more information on the Federal Work-Study Program, please visit our Financial Aid webpage.
All student employees, excluding those who work as a lifeguard, are compensated the current New York State minimum wage: $15/hr for 2024.

All employees are required to complete the Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) form to verify that they are able to work in the United States. In order to complete the I-9 form, all new hires are required to provide original and unexpired forms of identification to the Human Resources Office at MVCC.

For a list of acceptable forms of identification please visit

The more students work, the more income they receive, which could reduce overall eligibility for financial aid. In most cases, however, students earn far more by working then they will "lose" in financial aid.