If you like working with people and have strong leadership skills that inspire and motivate others, a career in the field of recreation and leisure might be the perfect fit for you. This program will provide you with the knowledge, skills, and internship experience for successful entry into the workforce or transfer to a four-year program.
With the guidance of your advisor, you will plan a concentration of studies around your specific career interests: Sports/Coaching, Fitness/Wellness, Therapeutic Recreation, or Generalist.
Upon completion of the two-year program, students should be competent in all of the following areas:
- Have the skills they need for employment in recreation and the leisure services
- The ability to communicate and relate to individuals in professional and academic environments
- Understand the process and methods of examining data and distributions
- Be prepared for transfer to related bachelors programs
- The ability to demonstrate information literacy
Graduates have successfully transferred to:
- SUNY Brockport
- SUNY Cortland
- Utica University
Entry-level positions in therapeutic recreation, recreation management, health and wellness, campus recreation, employee recreation, travel and tourism, and government agencies.
Internships provide 180 hours of experience.
Contact the School of Public and Human Services
Sheila Flihan, Dean
Payne Hall 345, Utica Campus
Michelle Kelly, Associate Professor
JC 112, Utica Campus