Your rights regarding your academic records

Each student has the right to inspect and review the information contained in her or her official educational records, subject to limitations as noted below. To do so, students must make a written request on a form available in the Office of Records and Registration. This request will be honored within 45 days after it is reviewed.

  1. Inspection and review include:
    1. An explanation and interpretation of the record.
    2. The right to a copy of the educational record. The charge for an official transcript is $10.00 per copy; copies of the records are $.25 per page. A copy may be denied:
      • When a “hold” has been placed on the record because of an unsatisfied obligation to the college
      • For a transcript from another institution. (The transcript is available from the originating institution.)
  2. The following educational records are not available for the inspection and review by the student:
    1. Financial information submitted by parents.
    2. Confidential letters and recommendations to which students have voluntarily waived rights of inspection and review.
    3. Education records containing information about more than one student. In such cases, however, students will be informed of that information that pertains to them.

Students have the right to challenge the contents of their record. In general, disputes regarding the contents of files will be handled by informal means. If these means should prove unsatisfactory to the student, the Vice President for Student Affairs may be requested in writing to convene a formal hearing. The Vice President for Student Affairs will appoint a member of the College faculty who has no direct interest in the outcome of the proceeding to hear the case. The hearing shall be held within a reasonable time following the request and the student shall be afforded a full and fair opportunity to present evidence relevant to the issue raised. The decision shall be rendered in writing by the hearing official within a reasonable period of time after the conclusion of the hearing.

Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U. S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D. C. 20202-5920

Note: This is not the official notification of your rights under FERPA. The official notification can be found in the Student Handbook.