The purpose of the Cultural Events Council is to enrich the college and the greater community through the planning, promoting and facilitating of a year-round cultural series that reflects and enhances diverse interests and strengthens learning opportunities.
Vice President for Learning and Academic Affairs
Membership (length of term for members, if applicable)
- Director of Events and Guest Services, Chair (Standing): Bill Dustin
- Member of Events and Guest Services appointed by the President (Standing): Erica Carrock
- Member of Events and Guest Services appointed by the Dean of Rome Campus (Standing): Bella Popowski
- Chair of DGV Commitee (Ex Officio): Kyle Lince
- Member Student Services and Residence Life appointed by Vice President for Student Affairs (Standing): De'Ana Hopkinson
- Chair of International Initiatives Commitee (Ex Officio): Carolyn West Pace
- Faculty At Large elected (2022): Rialda Schulman
- Faculty At Large elected (2022): Shahida Dar
- Faculty At Large elected (2022): Melissa Barlett
- At Large appointed by Program Board Director: Vacant
- Solicit programming ideas from students, faculty, and staff.
- Develop an annual budget plan.
- Develop the annual Cultural Series program, including a variety of Diversity and Global View (DGV) events, and recommend offerings to the President’s Cabinet.
- Coordinate with the MVCC Foundation to solicit sponsorships for the Cultural Series.
- Coordinate with the Office of Marketing and Communications to market Cultural Events.
- Coordinate with Academic Affairs to plan events that integrate/support curricular goals.
- Maintain a sub-council that consists of three Cultural Events Council members, who also serve on the DGV Committee, which ensures DGV events planned by the council meet the DGV graduation requirement criteria.
- Make decisions
- Determine policy
- Discuss contractual issues
- Keep the College mission, with an emphasis on the student experience, front and center.
- Maintain a diverse array of offerings at both the Utica and Rome campuses.
- Consider all employee and affinity groups with regard to inclusivity.
- Collaborate with the DGV Committee to maximize programming offerings and strengthen the DGV general education requirement.
Updated May 2020