The purpose of BERT is to encourage a proactive, confidential collaboration with relevant professionals to address student behavior to prevent escalation.
Vice President for Student Affairs
- Vice President for Student Affairs (Chair)
- Vice President for Learning and Academic Affairs or designee
- Dean, Athletics and Physical Education
- Dean, Student Life
- Dean, Student Support
- Dean, Academic Affairs
- Chief, Department of Public Safety or designee
- Director, Campus Services – Rome Campus
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners, Counseling Department
- Director, Student Accessibility & Wellness
- College Nurse
- Coordinator, Judicial Affairs & Community Standards
|Create an opportunity and expectation for College employees to be aware of and report student behavior that is concerning||Maintain an online reporting system|
|Communicate the process for making a BERT report at the beginning and mid-point of each semester as reminders||Communicate to all full-time, part-time, and adjunct employees the location for making a BERT report|
|Proactively identify student behavior to effect appropriate and preventative strategies for the mutual benefit of the student and the campus||Meet weekly to discuss|
|Develop action step plans to address the patterns of behavior||Assign the action steps to workgroup members for follow-through|
|Communicate back to the original person making the report pertinent information that assures that action has been taken without violating the student’s confidentiality||Communicate|
Discuss BERT cases outside of the BERT team with the exception of communicating back to the original person making the report about the general status of the report.
- Keep the College mission front and center.
- Think about what’s best for the individual student and the campus as a whole.
- Seek to understand and recognize there are multiple perspectives to each issue.
Updated September 2019