Transferring Courses to MVCC

Mohawk Valley Community College will grant credit for courses completed at other accredited institutions at the discretion of the appropriate Academic Dean.

New students seeking transfer credit must request that an official transcript from their prior college(s) be sent to the MVCC Admissions Office to complete their application. Students earning credit at another institution while currently enrolled at MVCC must send an official transcript from the other institution to the Admissions Office for processing. Only official transcripts from each prior college will be used for transfer credit evaluation.

Students may also earn credit through articulation agreements signed between MVCC and a specific secondary school or similar organization. The College maintains these agreements with regional BOCES and with local school districts. An original transcript from the regional BOCES or school district must be sent to the MVCC Admissions Office for processing.

Transfer credit is awarded for courses with a minimum grade of C-minus (C-) or higher. Grades of “P” or “S” are acceptable only for Physical Education courses and College Foundations Seminar. Grades of “S” are also acceptable from the Community College of the Air Force. Transfer courses are assigned a grade of “T” and are not used in the calculation of the student’s Grade Point Average (GPA).

Matriculated students may be permitted to “reverse transfer” credit from other colleges to complete an MVCC degree. A minimum of 25 percent of required program credits must be completed at MVCC to fulfill the residency requirement. Please contact the Office of Records and Registration for details about reverse transfer.

MVCC may grant course credit for passing, at an acceptable level, examinations administered under the Advanced Placement (AP) program and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). For AP credit, the student must have earned a minimum score of a three (3) for credit. For CLEP credit, the student must have the minimum test score recommended by American Council on Education (ACE).

Applicants seeking transfer credit for academic work completed in a foreign educational system should contact the Office of Admissions/Office of Services for International Students.

Veteran applicants should request that a Joint Military Transcript (JST) to be sent to the Veterans Education Services Office. Transfer credit is awarded upon review by the Academic Dean (or their designee) following ACE guidelines.