Important Academic Terminology

Academic Year

The College academic year consists of two traditional semesters: Fall and Spring. There are also shorter sessions called terms that are offered in Summer, Intersession and within semesters.

Adding a Course Once the Semester Begins

Students requesting permission to enroll in courses after the first week of classes must use the Late Enrollment Request Form. Enrollment in courses during the second week of classes requires course instructor permission. Enrollment in courses after the second week of classes requires permission of both the course instructor and the appropriate Academic Dean.

Co-Curricular Transcript

The Student Co-Curricular Transcript provides a listing of your involvement in college life that does not appear on your academic transcript. Participation in clubs, activities, and leadership experiences (athletic and student organizations) and the achievement of honors, scholarships, and awards will be listed on the co-curricular transcript. This additional information may help you stand out when you look for a job or transfer to a four-year college. For more information, go to the Student Activities Office in either Utica or Rome.

Dropping a Course Once the Semester Begins

Students can drop a course any time during the refund period assigned for the course. No grades are assigned to courses dropped during these times. See the Academic Calendar established by the Office of Records and Registration for specific dates.

Full-Time Registered Student

A student registered for 12 or more credit or equivalent hours in any semester.

Late Registration

All students (new and continuing/returning) are required to schedule and complete payment for all courses before the semester officially opens. 

Learning-Through-Writing Course Sections with the Registration Designation “LTW”

A learning-through-writing component is incorporated in course sections with the registration designation “LTW.” Students in these sections use writing as a tool for learning and thinking. They write as a means of communication and as a process for acquiring knowledge and deepening their understanding of the subject matter. The writing tasks are related to the content of the course and may include exploratory writing, academic journals, essays, essay examinations, reports and summaries.


Matriculation is the process by which a prospective student applies for admission, submits all required documentation to support the application, and is officially accepted by the Admissions Office into a degree or certificate program prior to the start of classes.

The deadline for matriculation is the end of the last business day prior to the start of classes. Matriculation terminates with graduation, dismissal, deactivation of a program, or lack of registration for four consecutive semesters not including summer and intersession.

As long as a student maintains continuous enrollment, the catalog under which they matriculated will apply. If courses have been eliminated, or if program requirements have changed, the administrator in charge of the affected program will work with the student to identify substitute courses. If a student ceases enrollment for four (4) consecutive semesters, that student must meet with an advisor in the Holistic Support Center to process a re-matriculation form. The course completion requirements will be those that appear for the program in the catalog that is in use at the time (semester) of re-matriculation.

Graduation requirements for a matriculated student are based on the catalog in effect at the time of matriculation, re-matriculation, or change of major into the degree or certificate program.


A student who enrolls in either credit or non-credit courses without applying to or being accepted by the college into a degree or certificate program. Non-matriculated students are not eligible to receive State or Federal financial aid.

If you wish to enroll as a non-matriculated student, please see Options for Non-Matriculated Student Enrollment in the College Catalog found on the MVCC website (

Part-Time Registered Student

A student registered for fewer than 12 credit or equivalent hours in any semester.


The process by which a student settles their financial obligation to the College.


Registration dates are published each semester by the Office of Records and Registration.  All financial obligations must be satisfied by the student before he or she may register for a succeeding semester. Registration is not complete until a valid Certificate of Residence is on file and all tuition and fees for the semester are paid and validated. Currently enrolled matriculated students can pre-schedule for classes using a Priority Registration system. Students are assigned their date and time based on the number of credit hours earned at MVCC. Students are notified through their Mohawk Valley Community College student e-mail account as to their personal time and date to schedule. During Web pre-scheduling, students have an option to place themselves on a wait list for a particular section through the MyMV system.

Release of Student Information

In releasing information about students, Mohawk Valley Community College follows the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). A complete statement of the college’s policy is contained at

Schedule Cancellation

The process of deleting students’ schedules from the database. Students who have not made payment by the due date may have their class schedules cancelled. Classes are available on a space-available basis. The College reserves the right to close, cancel or split classes as appropriate. Instructor assignments listed in the class schedule are subject to change.


The process by which courses are entered into the database under the student identification number.

Section Cancellation Policy

The College makes every effort to run sections as scheduled. However, there is the possibility that a class section may be cancelled up through the first meeting time at the College’s discretion.


A semester is a fifteen (15) week period that includes both instructional and exam periods. See Academic Calendar for semester starting dates.

Special Notice: The one-year Airframe and Powerplant Technology Certificate program does not follow the College’s standard academic calendar due to the required training schedule. Visit for details.

Senior Citizen Audit

Oneida County residents who are sixty years of age or older can sign up to audit certain courses tuition free. Audit is on a space available basis and should be requested no more than two days prior to the start of classes.  Classes which cannot be audited are those that are non-credit or laboratory classes which would require additional instructional equipment or supplies, such as in the sciences or culinary classes.

Those auditing classes are not formally enrolled as students at MVCC.  They attend classes without participating in testing.  There is no grade or credit received for the course.  Textbooks are purchased at the student’s expense. MVCC is not responsible for any other expense that may be incurred. All inquiries regarding Senior Citizen Audit should be directed to the Office of Records and Registration at 315.792.5336.


Mohawk Valley Community College uses a Web-based app MyMV. The system is available to all students and is accessible through the College’s website, With a College-issued Personal Identification Number (PIN) students can choose from four options to manage their information: Personal Information, Academic Records, Registration, and Financial Aid. Personal Information - Students can revise their PINs, mail and telephone information, e-mail address, and emergency contact information.  Academic Records - Students can view or print out an unofficial academic transcript, view midterm or final grades, view holds, and check degree progress. Registration - Students can Add/Drop classes (during limited time periods), find their priority date and time for pre-scheduling, view or print class schedules, view or print account summaries, and contact the Office of Records and Registration or the Advisement Center. Financial Aid - Students can read messages, check financial aid eligibility, check award information, or contact the Financial Aid Office.

All enrolled students are also given a Brightspace account. Brightspace is a course management software system that allows students and faculty to access course content and interact in a secure online environment asynchronously. Students will need to access Brightspace in order to complete the tutorial portion of the Diversity and Global View requirement.

Transcript Request

Official transcripts are produced on security paper and sent by standard U.S. mail in a sealed envelope. The envelope is stamped “Official Transcript Enclosed” and sealed with a multicolored signature. In addition, when the transcript is issued to the student, the transcript is stamped “Issued to Student.” Once the envelope is opened, the transcript is no longer considered official. MVCC will issue one official transcript per student at no charge. Each additional transcript is $10.00. Transcripts may be faxed at a cost of $15.00, but faxed transcripts are generally not considered official.

Mohawk Valley Community College has retained Credentials Inc. to accept transcript orders over the Internet. Please go to to get the link to request, or you can type the following url in to get directly into the site. Visit to enter your order.  If you are uncomfortable placing an order over the Internet, you can call Credentials Inc. at 847-716-3005 to place your transcript request.  There is an additional operator surcharge for placing orders over the telephone. Financial obligations must be met prior to the release of an official transcript.

Wait List

When a course section is filled to capacity, a student may put her/his name on a Wait List.  If a seat opens in that section, the student is assigned to that section and notified through MVCC student email.

Withdrawal from the College

Students who feel that it is necessary to withdraw from the college must notify the Counseling Office. An exit interview is required in order to constitute official withdrawal. Grades will then be assigned for official withdrawals from the college on the same basis as for official withdrawal from a course.

Withdrawal from a Course

Students who officially withdraw from a course after the third week of classes (for 15-week courses), but prior to the deadline established by the Office of Records and Registration (OR&R) will be assigned a grade of W. In order to officially withdraw, a student must submit a Drop Form to the OR&R. Withdrawal deadlines for courses of length other than 15 weeks will be prorated. See the academic calendar dates posted by the Office of Records and Registration at Students who do not officially withdraw from a course are not eligible for a grade of W. The instructor on the basis of the student’s fulfillment of course requirements will grade such students. The Vice President for Learning and Academic Affairs may waive the above under special circumstances (discipline, illness, etc.). Academic and Financial Aid advice is strongly suggested prior to withdrawal from a course.