Guided Pathways Workgroups and Teams
Guided Pathways is an opportunity for MVCC to set our own goals and determine our best path to success. The process of becoming a Guided Pathways institution requires college-wide efforts and cross-functional collaboration from all College staff, faculty and leadership to share, engage, and discuss the unique planning and resource needs at MVCC.
Guided Pathways Workgroups were formed last year to research best practices and develop recommendations on how we at MVCC can improve the overall student experience while increasing completion rates by providing an ethical and equitable path for all of our students. Those recommendations were vetted and organized, then divided among implementation teams made up of MVCC faculty and staff to plan and execute.
The Guided Pathways Steering Council coordinates these efforts, supports Workgroup recommendations and Implementation Team process, and communicates to the College community about the progress of Guided Pathways work at the College.
The workgroups are listed below, along with their charters and recommendations. The implementation teams also are listed here.
- Meta-Majors Workgroup: This group created our current meta-majors, or collections of academic majors that have related courses and career goals. Meta-majors helped us to organize our existing programs into groups that make sense to students so they can make informed decisions.
- Multiple Measures Workgroup: This group researched current best practices for college placement under the multiple measures
framework and analyzed current placement practices at MVCC to recommend ways we can
create a more robust system for multiple measures placement that reaches the entire
- Multiple Measures Workgroup Charter
- Multiple Measures Workgroup recommendations
- Prior Learning Assessment Workgroup: This group examined all aspects of PLA at MVCC, including but not limited to credit
by exam, credit for life experience, credentialing services, competency based learning,
non-credit to credit pathways, and military credit.
- Intake and Onboarding Workgroup: This group researched best practices on how to design a holistic experience to support students from the first point of contact through the midpoint of their first semester.
- General Studies/Undeclared Workgroup: This group worked to identify needs of the related sub-populations within the General Studies major to make comprehensive recommendations regarding support structures for each.
- Integrated Advising Workgroup: This group explored ways to improve the College’s academic advisement system.
- Design, Analysis, and Assessment of Learning Workgroup: This workgroup supports Pillar 1 (Getting on the Path) and Pillar 4 (ensuring students are learning). They also explored ways to provide equitable student experiences in academic programs.
- Universal Teaching and Learning Workgroup: This group is researching best practices for Universal Learning Design with an emphasis on equity to make comprehensive recommendations to ensure a consistent student learning experience and provide faculty resources to support learning.
Click on the links below to learn more about the Guided Pathways implementation teams and their associated recommendations: