Become a professional truck driver with CDL training!
- Non-credit, hands-on training on our Rome Campus
- Be job-ready in weeks
- Employment opportunities available NOW!
- New drivers are earning more than ever
- Funding opportunities available for those who qualify
- Classes start monthly and meet four days per week
In partnership with Ancora Corporate Training, MVCC is offering a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A training program. Students may earn a CDL in as little as five weeks.
CDL Class A drivers transport goods between locations using tractor trailers and heavy trucks with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) capacity of more than 26,000 pounds. They often travel long distances spanning several states to deliver their cargo, and they must follow all traffic and safety regulations while making their deliveries on time. In order to pass a skills test to acquire a CDL license, students must master performing a full vehicle inspection, range maneuvers, and proper operation of the vehicle on public roadways.
This CDL Training Class A Truck Driver program provides the optimal balance between classroom learning and on the road training to better prepare students for the CDL exam. Class sizes are small and experienced instructors will provide you with insight into what it's like to be a truck driver.
Students in the CDL Training Class A Tractor Trailer program will gain skills in the areas of:
- Vehicle inspections
- Defensive driving
- Range maneuvers
- Motor carrier safety regulations
- Trip planning
- Cargo handling
- Size/weight laws
- Vehicle maneuvering
- Hours of service
- Accident prevention
Course Entry Requirements
- *Be 18 or older if obtaining a CDL-A license. (Under 21 can drive in NYS only)
- Have a valid New York State driver’s license.
- Be a resident of New York.
- Be able to prove your legal presence in the United States and show your Social Security card.
- Have sufficient ability to read and speak English.
- Be able to successfully pass a Department of Transportation physical and drug test, and have a driving record that meets criteria. Drivers must be at least 21 years old to drive across state lines.
- Have the ability to drive safely, regardless of weather or time of day.
- Be comfortable operating heavy machinery.
Includes materials, enrollment checks (driving record, drug test, and physical), and road testing fee (up to three attempts included) with the state or a third party tester. Learner's permit fee and final licensing fee to the state are not included. Scholarships are available for eligible students.
Student will prepare to pass the written test for the CDL learner permit and CDL road test, including inspecting and operating vehicle safely and competently.
To enroll, visit ancoraed.com/mvcc.
View the informational flyer here.
COVID-19 Policy: For the safety and well-being of our students, employees, and guests, all students (credit and non-credit) registering for in-person or hybrid classes must be fully vaccinated and boosted when eligible, unless they have been granted a religious exception or medical exemption. Students must show proof of vaccination using the digital New York State COVID-19 Vaccination Excelsior Pass or show the official hard copy of their COVID-19 vaccination card. Facial coverings/masks are optional. Online options exist for those that do not comply with this policy; please inquire within.