Ready to Apply?Start the application process now!
MVCC's Liberal Arts & Sciences: General Studies Associate in Science degree is a flexible program that allows a greater choice of electives than many others. Under the guidance of an advisor, students begin initial course work in one or two career fields in which they are interested. At the same time, they complete general education courses required for transfer to upper-division colleges. They decide their future educational objectives: internal transfer to another MVCC program, or external transfer to a four-year college in their chosen field. This program is ideally suited to students who are unsure of their goals or those who wish to explore career options. Any student admitted to MVCC who is not admitted to a particular curriculum, or who does not elect to enroll in a specific curriculum, will be matriculated as a General Studies student. If students are not ready to enter courses because they lack the necessary background, they are asked to take developmental courses first.
Upon completion of the two-year program, students should be competent in the following areas:
- Writing, speaking, reading, and studying to increase chances for academic, personal, and professional success
- Communicating information and ideas clearly in oral and written form using standard English
- Identifying the main ideas and subtleties of simple and complex academic texts and literatures
- Creating written discourse using self-expressive, informative, persuasive, and literary aims
- Effective integration of information from various sources (lecture, text, visual, etc.) for learning and research purposes
- Critical thinking and creative inquiry
- Developing well-reasoned arguments
- Quantitative problem-solving