International Admissions

Thank you for your interest in MVCC! We welcome students from all around the world and are here to assist you with any questions  you may have about the application, getting a visa, immigration processes, the College, adjusting to a new culture and community, or anything about studying and living in the United States.

It is free to apply to MVCC. If you need any help or have any questions, please contact our International Student Services at by email at

Once the International Application is complete and we have received the supporting documentation, the International Admissions Office will issue the Form I-20 if you are eligible. Following receipt of Form I-20, you will need to apply and obtain an F-1 Student Visa from the U.S. Embassy in your country.  

New students

Admission requirements

Complete the International Application.

This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students.

There are two ways to apply to MVCC, and both are free.

Apply online at (choose the international option after creating your username and password) or download the Printable Application and email the scanned copy to

Official high school transcript and graduation certification

In order to qualify for admission to MVCC, you are required to show proof of your completion of high school or its equivalent in your home country. The documents must be official and reviewed by MVCC staff prior to enrolling in classes. If the high school graduation certificate and transcript are not in English, we will need a certified translation. If you have also completed studies in higher education (university level), please submit all official documents for consideration.

All official documents should be sent to:

International Student Services
Mohawk Valley Community College
1101 Sherman Drive
Utica, NY 13501-5394 (USA)


Upload Online: International Admission Upload Portal

Fax: 001-315-792-5527

English Proficiency for Academic Degrees

Testing scores are not required for acceptance into MVCC’s ESL Language Training Certificate Degree.  

If English is not your native or first language, proof of English ability is required for acceptance into an academic degree.

Students will be admitted into academic courses if they submit scores of at least*: 

  • TOEFL PBT: 500 / Computer Based TOEFL: 173 / TOEFL iBT: 61
  • IELTS 5.5

*Scores on standardized tests are valid for two years

If you have not taken any of the above tests, but would like to start in academic classes, you can take our English and Math Placement Test online via Accuplacer/Examity. There is a $25 fee for this test. Please email to request a voucher for this test.

Financial Sponsorship 

International students who are seeking admission and a Form I-20 are required by USCIS to show that they are able to afford one year of tuition, fees, and costs of living in the United States. One year of Costs and Fees can be found here: Costs and Fees. To show this, please complete the Financial Sponsor Form and submit proof of funding with bank statements and/or scholarship awards. This form should be completed by the student as well as the financial sponsor(s). 

Health Immunization Records

MVCC requires proof of student immunization records in order to comply with New York State regulations. Please download the Health Information Form and send copies of your immunization records.  If you are not able to get the MMR immunization prior to arriving in the United States, you may get them within the first month of classes.

Transfer students

If you are in the U.S. as an F-1 student already, and have maintained status you are still required to submit the international application. Once the application is complete, the transfer process will then take place. You will be required to submit the International Student Transfer Form.


If you are currently in the U.S. and are in violation of your F-1 student status, you might have to apply for a reinstatement. You will have to complete the international application and submit all necessary documentation to International Student Services. Once your application is complete and you are accepted, International Student Services will assist in the reinstatement process. Learn more about reinstatement

Change of status

Students residing in the U.S. with a different visa type may not be required to change their status to an F-1 Student Visa. Students in this situation should contact International Student Services regarding their specific situation. Learn more about Change of Status. You can also refer to the USCIS information to see if you qualify for a Change of Status.