SUNY Apprenticeship Program
What is the SUNY Apprenticeship Program?
A grant developed by SUNY in partnership with the New York State Department of Labor (NYSDOL). The focus is to engage small, medium, and large employers in New York to secure paid registered apprenticeships in high skilled, high demand and competitive wage occupations in advanced manufacturing and healthcare.
To develop and help apprenticeship programs succeed in New York State. This grant allows us to monetarily aid employers with the related instruction part of an apprenticeship. This fund can be accessed by every SUNY community college (through MVCC or Schenectady County Community College) in order to help apprenticeship programs in their specific area.
Who can participate in the SUNY Apprenticeship Program?
Companies in advanced manufacturing and healthcare.
Learn more about Employers participation
Are you 18 years old or older? Finishing your high school degree/equivalent or an older adult looking to start an apprenticeship?
Learn more about Students participation
Any SUNY community college is able to receive funds from the apprenticeship program.
Learn more about Colleges participation
What is an apprenticeship?
Please watch the following video provided by the United States Department of Labor (USDOL).How ApprenticeshipWorks for Recruits
Why choose an apprenticeship?
- State tax incentives.
- Apprentices have a genuine interest in your industry.
- May also reduce hiring costs by providing a streamlined channel to bring on new workers.
- Companies have reported higher productivity, retention rates (less turnover) and substantial return on investment.
- No/little student loan debt upon graduation.
- You get paid as you work and learn.
- You broaden your skill sets and receive real life work experience.
- You will receive a certificate/college degree that is transferable and recognized all across the U.S.
Learn why an apprenticeship is a viable option for your children.
- Apprenticeships are for both men and women.
- Apprenticeships cover a broad range of trades from construction, manufacturing, electrical, information technology (IT), to business.
- Your child will graduate with a certificate/college degree with little to no student loan debt.
- Your child will be earning a wage as they receive real work experience in an environment where they can establish a career and climb the company ladder.