Motor Vehicle Accidents:

If you are in a motor vehicle accident, you are required to stop and exchange information with the involved drivers.

If the accident caused property damage only, then exchange information about your driver's license, insurance, and registration with the involved drivers.

If a parked vehicle or other property is damaged, or if a domestic animal is injured, you must locate the owner or contact the law enforcement.

If any person is injured or killed in a motor vehicle accident, you are required to immediately notify law enforcement. It is a crime to leave the scene of an accident that causes personal injury or death.

You should call the Department of Public Safety on the Emergency Line or 911 to report a motor vehicle accident ocurring on campus property.

The MV-104A or "Police Accident Report" is the report completed by law enforcement when investigating a motor vehicle accient. An MV-104A is routinely obtained by insurance companies as a apart of their claims process.

Call or visit the Department of Public Safety office to request a copy of your MV-104A. The Department of Public Safety does not charge a fee for a copy of an MV-104A.

For more information, call the Non-Emergency line at: 315-731-5777.

Generally, MV-104A reports are ready within thirty (30) days, however, there may be several variables which affect the time in which the report is available.

Consequently, some reports may be available in as soon as fourteen (14) days, while others may take a few weeks to process.

Some motor vehicle accidents have civilian reporting requirements through the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law. 

The MV-104 or "Report of a Motor Vehicle Accident" form is filed by all the involved drivers with the DMV no more than ten (10) days after the accident when:

  • Property damage of any person is $1,001 or more, or
  • There is a personal injury or fatality

Your driver's license may be suspended if you fail to report an accident meeting these requirements to the DMV.

An MV-104 may be found at