Online Medical Billing and Coding Training
Become a Certified Medical Billing and Coding Specialist
Medical billing and coding is a rising star in the healthcare field today. This 100% online course will prepare you to start a career in this high-demand occupation and earn the medical billing and coding professional certification that best aligns with your interest and career goals. You’ll learn how to use the Healthcare Common procedure Coding System (HCPCS) and the CPT Category II and ICD-10 codes. Additionally, you’ll gain hands-on practice using medical billing and coding software. Upon course completion, you’ll receive a voucher for the certification exam of your choice: CPC, CCA or CBCS.
Job Outlook for Medical Billing and Coding Specialists
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), medical billing and coding specialists earn an average annual salary of $40,350 and work in one of the fastest growing professions.
- The BLS also estimates that at least 27,000 new jobs will be needed in this profession by 2026.
Medical Billing and Coding FAQs
The Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam is offered by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). It is the gold standard entry-level coding certification for physician, or professional fee, coders.
The Certified Coding Associate (CCA) is offered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). It is an entry-level medical coding certification across all settings--physician practices and inpatient hospital.
The Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS) is offered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) and is currently an entry-level medical billing certification for physician practices. In the summer of 2021, the exam will transition to an entry-level billing and coding certification, with the inclusion of ICD-10-CM, CPT, and HCPCS Level II testing.
- Be fully prepared to pass one of the following professional certifications that best
aligns with your interest and career goals:
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam offered by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA) exam offered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS) exam offered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
- Learn how the CPT Category II codes and ICD-10 codes work and how to assign them in common medical billing and coding procedures
- Gain hands-on billing experience with medical billing and coding software
- Externship Starter Kit to help you gain valuable experience in the field
- Medical Biller standalone option for those who aren’t interested in Medical Coding
Prerequisites and Requirements
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
- Medical Terminology
- Introduction to Medical Terminology
- The Musculoskeletal System
- The Cardiovascular System
- The Lymphatic and Immune Systems
- The Respiratory System
- The Digestive System
- The Urinary System
- The Nervous System
- The Special Senses the Eyes and Ears
- The Integumentary System
- The Endocrine System
- The Reproductive System
- Diagnostic Procedures, Nuclear Medicine, Pharmacology
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Introduction to Medical Billing and Coding
- Introduction to Health Insurance
- Managed Healthcare
- Revenue Cycle Management
- Legal Aspects of Health Insurance and Reimbursement
- ICD-10-CM Coding
- CPT Coding
- HCPCS Level II Coding
- ICD-10-PCS Coding
- Pharmacology for Coders
- Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI)
- Insurance Claims
- Commercial Insurance
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Medicaid, CHIP, TRICARE, Workers’ Compensation
- How to Find a Job in Medical Billing and Coding
Nancy Smith has over 30 years of experience in the healthcare industry. Her clinical experience includes working as a medical assistant for a network of rural health clinics, and as a medical coder, insurance claims specialist, and medical records auditor. Nancy holds a bachelor's degree in vocational education and has developed and taught medical assistant programs.
LaTisha Cottingham has over 20 years of experience in the healthcare industry. She has six years of teaching experience in the field of medical billing and coding and Medical Assisting. Currently she is employed as an HIM Analyst for a long-term care establishment that is based out of Alabama.
Registration and Enrollment
This course is 100% online. Start anytime.