The Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP) is open to students from various backgrounds, CSTEP provides customized strategies for success in all aspects of your life-with a special emphasis on your career plans for pre-med/pre-law, health related fields, engineering, education, accounting, and more. Alumni of the program have credited CSTEP with providing opportunities to foster personal and professional growth, helping them to complete their degree to transfer or continue on their career journey.
CSTEP is a New York State Department of Education grant-funded enrichment initiative designed to foster academic excellence, cultivate student independence, enhance students' college experience, and increase awareness and opportunities for historically and economically underrepresented college students:
- Pre-professional or professional undergraduate study
- Math, science, technology, and health related fields
- Professional licensure
Designed for college students whose majors are in the fields of science, math, engineering, technologies and health care, CSTEP provides historically underrepresented, economically disadvantaged college students with activities to facilitate academic excellence and nurture students as they progress through their college study.
CSTEP Scholars are successful because they take advantage of the resources available to them including:
- Specialized tutoring
- Career exploration
- Educational field trips
- Academic competitions
- Service projects
- Internships and workshops
- and much more!
From a freshman summer program, to conducting research, to participating in local internships and presenting at conferences (including the CSTEP StateWide Conference), our students become strong leaders and highly competitive individuals either when transferring to a four-year college or university, or seeking employment.
- If you are interested in this journey, please call, email, or stop by our office and we will gladly speak to you about CSTEP.
CSTEP Provides you with a supportive and experienced CSTEP advisor that will help you realize your academic, physical, social, financial, and professional goals. Together you'll create your own personal blueprint for lifelong satisfaction and professional growth.
- Support and guidance through college
- Academic and professional workshops
- Transfer college exposure and assistance
- Laptop loan program
- Faculty mentor/advisor for guidance and support
- Internship/Research in area of study
- Opportunity to earn book money and tuition assistance each semester
- Various supplies available to students for either rental or keep
- Books, notebooks, folders, nursing supplies, calculators, study guides, etc.
- NYS nursing exam assistance
- Transfer fee and transcript fee assistance
- Opportunity to attend state-wide conference
- Meet new people and become part of a family
- Have fun while becoming a professional
Eligible CSTEP Scholars must be:
1)Be a New York State Resident
2)Be a member of the underrepresented target populations (African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American/American Indian, Asian/Pacific Islander) OR Be economically disadvantaged (for income eligibility guidelines. Income documentation must be provided by Caucasian and Asian students only)
3)Be a full time student at a CSTEP-targeted STEM or Licensed Professions at MVCC (Other licensed professions covered by MVCC CSTEP)
4)Have or maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.50
5)Commit to fully participate in CSTEP events and activities