Education Benefits Summary | MVCC | Mohawk Valley Community College
skip to main content
Adjust Font Size

Education Benefits Summary

Military service offers a tremendous array of education benefits that can be used while you are on active duty or after you leave the service. A good education is essential for your career both in uniform and out, so take advantage of the education benefits you've earned.

Summary of Education Benefits

The following tables include a brief summary of each of the major education benefits offered to service members, veterans, and, in some cases, their families. Follow the associated links to learn more details about each program.

Department of Veteran Affairs Benefits

Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

For approved programs, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides up to 36 months of education benefits. If your release from active duty was before January 1, 2013, there is a 15-year time limitiation for use of benefits. For individuals whose last discharge date on or after January 1, 2013, the time limitation has been removed. The following payments also may be available:

  • Monthly housing allowance
  • Annual books and supplies stipend
  • One-time rural benefit payment


If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.


  • A Tuition and Fee Payment that is paid to your school on your behalf
  • A Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) stipend of up to $1346.00 per full month for full-time institutional training. (As of 01 OCT 2017)
  • A Books and Supplies Stipend of up to $1,000 per year



Post-9/11 GI Bill Transferability Option (Chapter 33)

The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows Service members to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The request to transfer unused GI Bill benefits to eligible dependents must be completed while serving as an active member of the Armed Forces. The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family.


Eligible service members may transfer all 36 months or the portion of unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits (unless DoD or the Department of Homeland Security has limited the number of transferable months). If you're eligible, you may transfer benefits to the following individuals:

  • Your spouse
  • One or more of your children
  • Any combination of spouse and child


  • A Tuition and Fee Payment that is paid to your school on your behalf
  • A Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) stipend of up to $1346.00 per full month for full-time institutional training. (As of 01 OCT 2017)
  • A Books and Supplies Stipend of up to $1,000 per year



Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Chapter 30)

Eligible service members may receive up to 36 months of education benefits. The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, any college fund eligibility, and if you contributed to the $600 buy-up program. You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be fewer or more years depending on the situation.


You may be an eligible if you have an honorable discharge; AND you have a high school diploma or GED or in some cases 12 hours of college credit; AND you meet the requirements of one of the four categories.


  • Monthly stipend of up to $1,928 per full month for full-time institutional training. (As of 01 OCT 2017)



Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606)

MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components, and VA makes the payments.


To qualify, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation. For some types of training it is necessary to have a six-year commitment that begins after Sept. 30, 1990.
  • Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT).
  • Meet the requirement to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT. You may not use 12 hours toward a college degree to meet this requirement.
  • Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit. You will also retain MGIB-SR eligibility if you were discharged from Selected Reserve service due to a disability that was not caused by misconduct. Your eligibility period may be extended if you are ordered to active duty.


  • Monthly stipend of up to $375 per full month for full-time institutional training. (As of 01 OCT 2017)



Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)

The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.


You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  •  A Veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the armed forces.
  •  A Veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.
  •  A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  •  A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  •  A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective Dec. 23, 2006.


  • Monthly stipend of up to $1,224 per full month for full-time institutional training. (As of 01 OCT 2018)



Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) program has two key goals. First, to assist the service-disabled veteran to prepare for, obtain, and maintain suitable employment. Second, for those persons who are severely disabled and that gainful employment is not an option, assistance may be provided to allow that person to live more independently in his or her community.


Active Duty service members are eligible if they:

  • Expect to receive an honorable or other than dishonorable discharge upon separation from active duty
  • Obtain a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and
  • Apply for VR&E services

Or (until December 31, 2016)

  • Are participating in the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) or are certified by the military as having a severe injury or illness that may prevent them from performing their military duties
  • Apply for VR&E services, and
  • Report for an evaluation with a VR&E counselor before separating from active duty

Veterans are eligible if they:

  •  Have received a discharge that is other than dishonorable
  •  Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10% from VA
  •  Apply for VR&E services


Varies on Case Manager's discretion.



Rosemarie Pastorella
Student Veteran Specialist

Thomas Zénon
Veteran Education Coordinator & School Certifying Official

Phone: (315) 792-5326

Fax: (315) 792-5696


Monday - Friday
08:30 - 16:30
Appointments Welcomed

Walk-Ins Welcomed Schedule Permitting