Civic Responsibilities Frequently Asked Questions | MVCC | Mohawk Valley Community College
skip to main content
Adjust Font Size

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What if I have a conflict or concern with another person?

A: Student complaints may be directed to the division in which the complaint originates. Campus related & Student Affairs oriented complaints may be directed to the MVCC Public Safety Office which in turn will be reported to the Office of Civic Responsibilities. Academic complaints should be reported to the appropriate department Associate Dean to hear the case. If needed the department Associate Dean and Office of Civic Responsibilities will adjudicate/mediate the case.

Q: What happens when I get documented by RAs, RDs, or the Office of Public Safety?

A: If you are documented (written up) by a member of the Mohawk Valley Community College community, the Office of Civic Responsibilities will receive that report. The report will be reviewed for potential violations of the Student Code of Conduct  or Residence Life Rules and Regulations. A hearing officer will schedule a meeting with you based on your class schedule to discuss the incident with you. In that meeting, the hearing officer will ask you for information about the incident to determine your involvement in and responsibility for the violation(s). If you are found responsible for violating any section of the Student Code of Conduct  or Residence Life Rules and Regulations, you will be given sanctions that you will be required to complete. Sanctions can include written warnings, disciplinary probation, community service, attendance at educational workshops and a variety of other activities. More information about sanctions can be found in the MVCC Student Handbook/Policy manual.

Q: What happens if I miss my judicial meeting?

A: If you miss a meeting with your hearing officer, he/she may make a decision on your case without the benefit of your input. If you know you will not be able to attend a meeting, please contact your hearing officer as soon as possible to reschedule. Please note that rescheduling is at the discretion of your conduct officer.  If you miss a meeting, your hearing officer will send you a sanction letter with the outcome of your judicial incident and any sanctions you will need to complete. You are expected to complete any assigned sanctions if you were not at your meeting.

Q: How do I know what I have to do for my judicial sanction?

A: After you meet with your hearing officer, you will be sent a formal hearing outcome letter via email. This letter will include whether or not you were found responsible for any violations and specific information on your sanctions, including your deadlines and any other information you will need to complete them (web address, paper specification, community service contact information, etc.). It is your responsibility to complete your sanctions by the given deadline. If you lose your letter or forget your requirements, you must contact your hearing officer or Judicial Affairs to retrieve that information. Failure to complete your sanctions as outlined in your letter will result in further judicial action.

Q: Can I appeal my conduct officer's decision
regarding my judicial sanctions?

A: If you were sanctioned for violations of the Student Code of Conduct sanctions, you are eligible to request an appeal if you meet the required criteria. The VP for Student Affairs & Dean of Students will determine if your appeal should be heard based on if you meet one of the pre-identified requirements.  If you fail to meet one of the requirements your appeal request will not be heard and an email/letter will be sent to you letting you know the outcome.

Q: What is a Disciplinary Appeals Board (DAB) hearing?

A: A Disciplinary Appeals Board (DAB) is a formal judicial appeal hearing. Students who are charged under the Student Code of Conduct or students who are charged under the Residence Life Rules and Regulations and receive a sanction are eligible to request a disciplinary appeal to the VP for Student Affairs & Dean of Students. It will be determined if the DAB will hear the case or not. Hearing officers for DAB hearings are called Board members. There are five faculty or staff members and 4 students.

Q: Where should I turn in any papers or
projects I had to complete as part of a judicial sanction?

A: You should turn all judicial paperwork into the Civic Responsibilities/Judicial Affairs office in Payne Hall Room 347 or email your documentation directly to your conduct officer, unless otherwise specified by your hearing officer. If sanctioned by one of the Residence Life staff you should submit all  documentation to the appropriate office in Residence Life.

Q: What happens if I don't complete my judicial sanction?

A: If you do not complete an assigned judicial sanction you will be subject to further judicial consequences. These may include being reassigned the original sanction as well as additional sanctions. If you think you are going to have trouble completing your sanctions by your assigned deadline, please contact your hearing officer as soon as possible to discuss the situation.

Q: What is judicial probation and how will it affect me?

A: Judicial Probation is a formal written notice that a student is in poor judicial standing with the College. Students who are on or have been on probation may receive greater judicial sanctions if they have further violations of the MVCC Student Code of Conduct or the Residence Life Rules and Regulations. Judicial probation could also result in a loss of privileges within the College community, including consideration of eligibility for an MVCC study abroad program or trips sponsored by Student Activities Clubs. In addition, judicial probation may affect your eligibility to hold leadership roles in various organizations (Student Government, Residence Life, etc.).

Q: Do my parents get notified if I have a judicial incident?

A: Family Educational Rights Privacy Act limits parent and guardian notification unless required for alcohol and drug violations or if the student has submitted a release.  The College reserves the right to communicate with parents and guardians of dependent students.

Q: Why did I get a different judicial outcome than
someone who did the exact same thing?

A: Many factors impact how sanctions are determined for individual students, including their level of involvement in an incident and their previous judicial history.

Q: How long are my judicial records maintained?

A: Judicial records are kept until you graduate or for six years after your separation from the College. Expulsions are maintained indefinitely.

Q: What is the student due process?

A: As per the 14th Amendment all students have the right to due process. Due process means that each student has the right to notice regarding their case and the right to a fair hearing.

Q: What is the student appeals processes?

A: An "appeal" is defined as a request to review a previous decision and/or the process used in reaching the decision. The line of appeal to be followed will depend upon the type of case involved. The appeal request form can be found at: In all cases, students are required to state their appeal in writing at the time they begin the appeal process. The following describes the different types of cases and the appropriate lines of appeal to be used in each case. For disciplinary issues, or issues dealing with misconduct, the process described in the Student Code of Conduct, will be used. Appeals that have gone through the entire line of appeal are considered final and binding on all parties involved.

Q: What should I do if I have a tuition refund and have been suspended/dismissed from MVCC?

A: A student who is suspended from MVCC, expelled from MVCC or dismissed from the Residence Halls is subject to the stand refund policies.

Q: What are judicial sanctions & how are they levied?

A: In cases of noncompliance with the Student Code of Conduct, the College will impose discipline that is consistent with the impact of the offense on the College community. Progressive discipline principles will be followed in that the student's prior discipline history at the College will be taken into account. Please refer to the student handbook for a list of judicial sanctions.