Transferring Courses to MVCC | MVCC | Mohawk Valley Community College
skip to main content
Adjust Font Size

Transferring Courses to MVCC

Transferring Courses into MVCC

Applicants transferring to Mohawk Valley Community College from other accredited institutions may receive whole or partial credit for college courses completed. Acceptance of transfer credit is the prerogative of the appropriate Academic Associate Dean or their designee.

Students who are new to MVCC, and have attended other colleges, must request that an official transcript from those respective institutions be sent to the Admissions Office to complete their application. If a student attempts credit at another institution, while currently enrolled at MVCC, must send an official transcript from the other institution to the Admissions Office for processing. Only official transcripts from each prior college will be used for transfer evaluation.

Students may also earn credit through articulation agreements signed between MVCC and a specific secondary school. The College maintains these agreements with regional BOCES and local school districts. An original transcript from the regional BOCES or school district will need to be sent to the Admissions Office for processing.

Transfer credit is awarded for courses with a minimum grade equivalent of a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale. A grade of a “P” or “S” are acceptable only for Physical Education courses, and for College Seminar. Grades of “S” are also acceptable from the Community College of the Air Force. Transfer courses are assigned a grade of “T” and are not used in the calculation of the student’s Grade Point Average (GPA).

Matriculated students may be permitted to “reverse transfer” back credit from other colleges to complete an MVCC degree. A minimum of 25 percent of required program credits must be completed at MVCC to fulfill the residency requirement. More information about this can be obtained in the University Partners and Transfer Center.

MVCC may grant course credit for passing, at an acceptable level, examinations administered under the Advanced Placement (AP) program and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). For AP credit, the student must have earned a minimum score of a three (3) for credit. For CLEP credit, the student must have the minimum test score recommended by American Council on Education (ACE).

Applicants seeking transfer credit for academic work completed in a foreign educational system should contact the Office of Admissions/Office of of Services for International Students.

A Veteran applicant must request a Joint Military Transcript (JST) to be sent to the Veterans Education Services Office. Transfer credit may be awarded upon review by the Academic Associate Dean or their designee following the recommendations by the ACE.