In order to graduate, students must meet the following criteria:
- A final High School Transcript showing graduation information or GED Certificate must be on file.
- In order to graduate, students must pass all courses required for the program or certificate in which they have matriculated, and must achieve at least a 2.0 program grade point average. Courses should be completed as specified in the catalog including general education requirements.
- All first-time matriculated and re-matriculated students must complete the Diversity/Global View component. Consult an academic advisor for details.
- Residency Requirement: A minimum of 25 percent of the required program credits for graduation must be successfully completed at Mohawk Valley Community College.
- Students expecting to have transfer credit to count toward graduation should have all official transcripts on file. All transfer courses must be posted on your official transcript prior to graduation.
- Financial obligations to the college must be fulfilled.
- Students are responsible for satisfying all requirements leading to a degree or certificate for the curriculum in which they are enrolled.
- Matriculation is terminated by graduation. Students intending to pursue another degree or certificate need to matriculate in the new degree or certificate.
- Students must complete ED100 within the first fifteen hours of instruction.
- A student must have completed at least 70 percent of the total credits in their degree program or 50 percent of their certificate program before applying for graduation. The Center Dean or Assistant Dean must approve any exceptions.
- Commencement ceremonies are held at the end of the Spring and Fall Semesters. Students planning to graduate in the Spring, Summer or Fall semester should submit an application to the Registrar by the published deadlines. Applications for graduation are available at the Office of Records and Registration or online at www.mvcc.edu/graduation-application. Attending the commencement ceremony does NOT guarantee that you will graduate. Check with your Dean to be sure that you have completed the degree requirements. If you do not satisfy degree requirements, you must complete a new application for graduation during the semester in which completion is anticipated.
Dual Degree: Providing that all requirements are fulfilled for both programs, including at least a 2.0 GPA in both, a student may concurrently or consecutively undertake a second-degree program at the same level as the first. A second degree will be awarded only in those cases where the second program requires at least 15 semester credit hours of specific courses, which are not part of the requirements of the first.
Physical Education: A passing grade in two credit hours of the Instructional Program in Physical Education is a graduation requirement for students in most degree-granting programs at Mohawk Valley Community College. This requirement applies to all matriculated students. Students with physical limitations or disabilities should consult with a member of the Physical Education faculty to discuss their specific needs. Although physical education courses may be repeated for credit, any given course may be counted only once toward the two-credit requirement. Students having met the physical education requirement for graduation may elect to participate further in the physical education program. The application of elective credits earned in physical education is the prerogative of the degree-granting program in which the student is enrolled. Some physical education courses may have additional fees attached.
DegreeWorks: Together, students and their academic advisors track academic progress and requirements for graduation using DegreeWorks. It contains the course requirements for the student’s program, and lists courses completed, pre-scheduled, and in progress. Courses that do not count toward graduation will be found under “courses not applied to program.” Students can view their degree progress using SIRS.
Repeating Courses: If a course is repeated, only the highest grade will count in the computation of the Grade Point Average.
Diversity and Global View Graduation Requirement: In order to graduate, all degree- and certificate-seeking students must fulfill Diversity and Global View requirements.
Degree-seeking students must complete:
- One DGV-designated course
- Four online Blackboard tutorials
- Confirmed attendance at four DGV-designated events
Certificate-seeking students must complete:
- Two Blackboard tutorials
- Two DGV events