Grades consist of the following:

  • A: Excellent
  • B: Good
  • C: Satisfactory
  • D: Poor
  • F: Failure
  • W: Withdrawn prior to the official last date established by the Office of Records and Registration
  • S: Satisfactory (midterm only)
  • U: Unsatisfactory (midterm only)
  • I: Incomplete (temporary)
  • AU: Audit
  • NR: Not a grade, but a symbol indicating that a grade was not submitted

“W” grades appearing on the record do not affect the student’s grade point average (GPA). “W” grades count in attempted hours. See “Dropping a Course” or “Withdrawal from a Course” under Terminology Students Should Know.

Students expelled from a specific course, or expelled or suspended from the College, will receive a final grade for each course as determined by the faculty member’s grading policy. However, a grade of “Incomplete” is not an option. Any assignments not completed as of the date of suspension (expulsion) will be factored into grade calculations as zeros.


A grade of AU is assigned and participation in exams is not required. Audited courses do not satisfy graduation, certificate, or license requirements and do not affect GPA. Audited courses are not counted as part of full- or part-time enrollment status for Financial Aid. Audit requests must be made no later than the end of the first week of classes. Changes from credit to audit may not be initiated after the end of the third week of classes for a regular semester. The auditing policy for senior citizens has additional criteria.

Mid-Term Grades

Midterm grades are not official and do not appear in any permanent record. They are intended to inform students of their progress. Students may view their midterm grades via the web using SIRS. Students should seek out a student support advisor soon after midterm grades are posted to discuss progress.

Final Grades

Final grades can be viewed on the SIRS. Students may also request a copy of their final grades from the Office of Records and Registration. Please review them carefully. Any alleged errors, including any missing grades, should be reported immediately to the instructor of the course. If the instructor cannot be reached, the appropriate Dean of the course should be contacted. Students have one year from the end of a semester to request, in writing, a correction to their official transcript and must provide appropriate documentation to support the request. For Academic Complaints, see the online Student Handbook.

GPA Calculation

The GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total number of GPA hours. A = 4.00 quality points, B = 3.00 quality points, C = 2.00 quality points, D = 1.00 quality points, and F = 0.00 quality points. A grade of "A" (A = 4.00) earned in a three-credit course would be 4.00 x 3 = 12.00 quality points in all. MVCC GPA is calculated by truncating the numbers to two decimals and is NOT rounded up.

Incomplete Grade

An incomplete grade may be assigned when a student has not completed a small portion of a course for reasons beyond their control. Subject to approval by the Dean, a plan will be established on how the work will be completed. It is the student’s responsibility to meet with the instructor to establish a time limit and the work must be completed no later than the end of the following regular semester. An incomplete grade will convert to an “F” if the instructor submits no grade at the end of the following semester.