Registrar FAQ's | MVCC | Mohawk Valley Community College
skip to main content
Adjust Font Size

Registrar FAQ's

How do I order/request a transcript?

MVCC will issue one official transcript at no charge. Each additional transcript is $10.00. Transcripts may be faxed at a cost of $15.00, but faxed transcripts are generally not considered official by educational institutions.

Mohawk Valley Community College has retained Credentials Inc. to accept transcript orders over the Internet.  Please click on the TranscriptsPlus icon below to enter your order.  If you are uncomfortable placing an order over the Internet, you can call Credentials Inc. at 847-716-3005 to place your transcript request.  There is an additional operator surcharge for placing orders over the telephone.

Official transcripts are produced on security paper and sent by standard U.S. mail in a sealed envelope. The envelope is stamped "Official Transcript Enclosed" and sealed with a multicolored signature.

In addition, when the transcript is issued to the student, the transcript is stamped "Issued to student." Once the envelope is opened, the transcript is no longer considered official.

This information will been released in accordance with the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and cannot be further disclosed without prior written consent of the student. All outstanding obligations (financial, academic or administrative) due to the college must be cleared before you request can be processed.

Back to top
I requested a transcript, How do I check to see if it went out?

Please click this link to check on the status of your request:

Back to top
Do you want to register for a class, but not work toward a degree?

Are you a new student?

Do you just want to take a course, but not work toward a degree?  If so, please fill out this form:

You will be receiving a PIN number and instruction on how to register for courses after you fill out and submit the form via email.

Are you a current student?

Do you have a PIN for your SIRS account?  If so, just go in and schedule it like any other course.  (Only available during posted Registration times.)
You can do it in person as well, during posted registration times, at the Office of Records and Registration in Utica or at the Rome Student Service Office.

If you don’t have a PIN or lost it, please click on this link to request one, or come in person to the Office of Records and Registration in Utica or the  Rome Student Service Center, with a photo ID.

Please Note:

If you want to work toward a degree program, but just want to take a course at a time, you  will still have to be admitted to the college. The link to apply is;  

You will be contacted by the Admissions Office with further instructions.  If you are already admitted and working toward your degree, you can follow the instructions above for scheduling.

Back to top
What is my “M” number?

The  “M” number is your student ID number. You receive that from Admissions if you are a degree seeking student.

If you are not seeking a degree, you are issued one by the Office of Records and Registration either when you schedule in person, or if you request a PIN number through the online form.   If you don’t know what it is, you can find out a couple of ways:

1. Come in person to the Office of Records and Registration or the Rome Business/Registrar’s Office with a photo ID to get a copy

2. You can fax a request to the ORR to 315-792-5698 with a signature, with an email address or address to fax it to.

Back to top
How Do I get my PIN?

PIN Numbers can not be given out over the phone.

New Students: The PIN is issued to new matriculated students through the Office of the First Year Experience. 

Current Students: Current students, if you have been in the system before you had to set a security question.  Go to the log in page, put in your ID number (or SSN) for the ID and then click on Forgot PIN? Your security question will come up. You can answer it and then reset to a new PIN. It has to be six digits and all numbers.

If you have not used the system or don’t have a pin, you will need to get it one of two ways:

1. In person at the ORR in Utica or the RBO in Rome with photo ID.

2. Go online to the link below: fill out the form, print it out, sign and mail or fax it to us. There is usually less than a 24 hour turn around time to email the PIN to you.

Back to top
How Do I Get Into SIRS?

Go to   Go to Current Students, Click on blue link under quick links for SIRS.

Use your MVCC ID number (M or FOR number.  M or FOR MUST be capitalized).  The PIN is a six digit number that is issued by First Year Experience or you can get it from the Office of Records and Registration.

Back to top
What is my SIRS pin number?

The PIN number for using SIRS is NOT the last four digits of the Social Security number… that is the PASSWORD for Blackboard and their email.

The PIN for SIRS is a six digit number. It is random and issued by the Office of the First Year Experience for new matriculated (degree seeking) students. For non-matriculated students, it is issued by the Office of Records and Registration.

Back to top
I lost or forgot my SIRS pin number? Can you help me retrieve it?

Please visit: for information on how to have pin reset of you lost or forgot it.


Back to top
How Do I Schedule Online Using SIRS?

a. Look up courses and note their CRNs (course reference numbers)

b. Log in to SIRS

c. From the Main Menu go to the Registration Menu

d. Go to Build Your Schedule or Add/Drop Classes

e. Select a Term and click SUBMIT

f.  Enter CRNs and click SUBMIT

g. Return to Registration Menu and choose Concise Student Schedule

h. Review schedule for accuracy and print schedule

i.  Return to Main Menu and choose VIEW MY BILL, PAY MY BILL, CONFIRM MY CHARGES

j.  Select appropriate payment option and click Confirm Charge

Back to top
What do these errors mean when trying to schedule?

1. Test and/ or Prerequisite Error:  That means that you are trying to schedule a course that requires that another course have been taken first.  The system will not allow students to schedule the class until someone from advisement can override it. You need  to Advisement for that issue.

2. Link Error:  that means that the class requires both a lecture and a lab component. There are two CRNs that need to by input at the same time or it will not take.

3. Class Closed – Waitlisted.  That means that the class is closed, but you can put yourself into the waitlist.  There are no guarantees that you will get into a waitlisted class.

Back to top
What is my MVCC email address?

Your MVCC email address is first initial last name, day of The password is the last four digits of your social security question.

For example, if your name is Sue Smith, born on August 12 and your SSN is 123456789.  Your Email address is and your Password is 6789.

Back to top
What is a waitlist?

A waitlist is a list of students who want to register for a course section that is already full.  Here is a link to common questions that are asked regarding waitlists.

Back to top
How do I change my major?

If you are a new student who hasn't made a schedule yet you will contact the Admissions Office. 

If you are scheduled for classes you will contact the Advisement Office either by phone (315-792-5608) or in person. 

If you changed your major but it is still not showing up when you look at your information
please contact the Office of Records and Registration.

Back to top
How do I change my address?

1. Come to the Office of Records and Registration or RBO in person

2. Either Mail or fax us a request to change your address. It has to be signed. The link to the form

Back to top
I need a letter for someone stating I am a full time or part time student… how do I do that?

A student needing an enrollment verification needs to bring or mail it to the Office of Records and Registration.  The Office of Records and Registration can also provide a letter on the spot for students bringing it to the ORR counter. If you have a form that needs to be filled out, that would have to be mailed or faxed to us.

Back to top
How do I see my grades on SIRS?

When grades are posted, they can be viewed by going into the SIRS account, go into Academic Records and click on the link for FINAL GRADES.  Please be sure to choose the correct semester in the drop down menu, and then click on the link.

Back to top
What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, also known as the Buckley Amendment, protects the privacy of student records. The Act provides for the right to inspect and review education records, the right to seek to amend those records, and to limit disclosure of information from the records. The Act applies to all institutions that are the recipients of federal funding. The regulations for FERPA can be found in 34CFR Part 99.

Find out more about FERPA.

Back to top
Popular Terms Used In Registrar's Office:

Registrar’s Office Glossary

Census date: The date at which a course has reached 30 percent of course material.  This date is typically the third week of classes for 15 week classes. It is prorated for shorter or longer length classes. This date is printed on your State Audit and Census rosters and appears on your SIRS class list and Schedule information.

Registration: What a student must do to be an enrolled student in class. Registration is composed of two parts, scheduling for classes, then either paying for them or applying your financial aid to pay for them.  Only students can apply their financial aid, it must be released by the student.

Late Registration Form:  What a student needs to complete and have signed to enter class after the class has started. It is up to the discretion of the instructor whether to let the student enter late.

Drop/Add form:  Students who wish to add or drop a class after the first week of classes must fill out a drop/add form to bring to the Registrar to process.  

M number – This is the ID number assigned by MVCC. 

Pin number – This number is used to enter SIRS

SIRS – Student Information and Registration System – Used by faculty and students to monitor grades, attendance and for students to register for classes.

Dates to Remember – Published on line and on paper by the Office of Records and Registration with important deadlines.

CRN – the five digit number used to identify your courses.  Need this for registration purposes.

Term – Semester

Part of Term- Each semester is made up of Parts of Term.  Part of Term 1 = 15 week course, Part of term A = First 8 week courses, Part of Term B = Second 8 week courses.  In Summer there are also Parts of term F and G, which are the first and second  five week parts of term.  Part of term H = courses that are different lengths than standard courses. They may be shorter or longer. They are all credit courses.  Part of term X: non credit courses that do not fit the standard course length.

Back to top
According to Banner, the College received a transcript months ago. Why hasn't the transcript been evaluated?

If the student is a new student to MVCC (first Semester), the transcript does not start the process until the student submits the Admissions reservation form.  Once that form is submitted, the transcript begins its journey.  If the student started prior to Spring 2012, their transcript was evaluated by a credit evaluator for their major.

Back to top
Can you tell me how a particular course transfers in to MVCC?

Yes, I can, however, there is a wonderful website that lists the majority of our equivalencies from schools all around the country!  Visit:

Back to top
How long does it take for Transfer Credit to appear?

It all depends.  When a transcript is received, the Office of Records and Registration attempts to process the credit using the information populated in the Transfer Articulation Tables.  If the course (or school) is not built, the transcript is given to the Transfer Services Associates who send course descriptions to the Associate Deans responsible for the course. When they hear back from the Associate Dean, the information is put into the tables, and the transcript is processed by the Office of Records and Registration.  A transcript is evaluated for the entire college, not just by major.

Back to top
Where is my transfer credit?

Establishing Transfer credit can take time.  If you are a brand new student to MVCC, it depends on when you turned in your admissions reservation form.  Turning that form in starts the process of establishing transfer credit.  Once the Office of Records and Registration receives it, they attempt to process the credit using the information populated in the Transfer Articulation Tables.  If the course (or school) is not built, course descriptions are sent to the Associate Deans responsible for the course.  When we hear back from the Associate Deans, the information is put into the tables, and the transcript is processed.  A transcript is evaluated for the entire college, not just by major.

Back to top