Disciplinary Appeals Committee
Purpose Statement: The purpose of the Disciplinary Appeals Committee is to ensure students the right of due process; providing for a fair, timely and impartial hearing of disciplinary decisions, including those relating to Title IX of the Education Amendments of the 1972 Landmark Federal Civil Rights Law.
Charter Sponsor: College Senate
Charter Contact: VP Student Services/Dean of Students
- 2 Classified staff
- 4 Faculty
- 2 Professional and/or administrative staff
- 2 Residence Hall students
- 2 Commuter students
Individual Board Members SHOULD
• Be knowledgeable of campus regulations as outlined in the Student Handbook.
• Share availability with the Chairperson.
• Attend an appeal request meeting and/or hearing upon Chairperson’s request.
• Safeguard all appeal request meeting and/or hearing documents.
• Review packet before appeal request meeting and/or hearing.
• Participate in appeal request meeting and/or hearing by listening attentively and asking clarification questions.
• Participate in Board’s decision discussion.
• Ensure confidentiality by not discussing any aspect of the hearing with anyone except fellow Board members.
• Agree to step down from any case where a conflict of interest or bias may be perceived.
The Board, Individually and As a Whole DOES NOT
• Engage in conversation with petitioner or Conduct Officer outside of the formal hearing.
• Act as investigators.
• Interrogate the individual.
• Recommend policy changes to Conduct Officers.
• Speak to any third party including parents or attorneys.
• Safety of the entire campus community; students and staff must be taken into account during deliberations and when speaking to witnesses.
• Be professional in the hearing and the deliberations.
• Think beyond the sanction – try to make it an educational experience, when possible and reasonable.
• The College recognizes the need to utilize progressive discipline when adjudicating incidents.