Graduation FAQ | MVCC | Mohawk Valley Community College
skip to main content
Adjust Font Size

Graduation FAQ

How do I know if I have met all the requirements for graduation?

Students should meet with an academic advisor throughout their studies and especially near graduation to be sure they have completed all requirements for their program of study. You may apply to graduate once you have completed at least 50% of the total credits required for a certificate or 70%  of the credits required for a degree.

When do I apply for graduation?

The Office of Records and Registration must meet deadlines to report final counts of graduates for the commencement ceremony and for state reports, but will make every effort to process graduations for the appropriate semester. We recommend that you submit an Application for Graduation by the start of your final semester.

How do I apply for graduation?

Login to SIRS and go to the Academic Records Menu to complete your Application for Graduation entirely online.

You may also click here to print out an Graduation Review Request.

Is there a fee to graduate or to apply for graduation?

There is no graduation fee required.

What happens once I turn in my application for graduation form?

Your academic record is reviewed to determine whether you have met all of the requirements for your degree or certificate.

What happens if I want to transfer to another institution, but I am missing one or two courses?

You should still file the application for graduation. Make sure that courses taken at other institutions are equivalent to courses taught at MVCC. Your associate dean or academic advisor can advise you as to the content of courses taught in your program.

What documentation do I need to check on course transferability?

You need to obtain a copy of the course number, title, course description, number of credits granted by the other institution. Some courses need to be checked with the associate dean of the department offering the course at MVCC.

What if I graduate in December but do not attend the December commencement ceremony. Can I attend the Spring Commencement ceremony?

Yes, you may attend. All students who attend commencement are "candidates" for a certificate or degree. You do not graduate until the graduation is posted on your official transcript by the Office of Records and Registration.

What do I do if my diploma does not arrive after 8 weeks?

Contact the Office of Records and Registration (315) 792-5336.

What do I do if I change my address?

Fill out a change of address form in the Office of Records and Registration or send a signed letter indicating where you want your diploma to be sent.

How do I get a diploma cover?

Diploma covers are given to students who attend commencement ceremony, or you may pick up a diploma cover directly from the Office of Records and Registration if you do not attend the ceremony.

Where are diplomas sent?

Diplomas are sent to the permanent home address on record unless you indicate a different address on the Application for Graduation.

What if my application for graduation is turned down?

Students who do not meet the requirements for graduation will be notified in writing by the academic department offering the degree or certificate. In order to have your academic record re-evaluated, you students must fill out a new Application for Graduation once all requirements have been met.

Contact Information
Payne Hall, Room 159A
1101 Sherman Drive
Utica, NY 13501
Telephone: 315.792.5336
Fax: 315.792.5698

Plumley Complex, Room 117
1101 Floyd Avenue
Rome, NY 13440
Telephone: 315.334.7708
Fax: 315.334.7726