DegreeWorks FAQ | MVCC | Mohawk Valley Community College
skip to main content
Adjust Font Size

DegreeWorks FAQ

What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is a web-based tool to help students and advisors monitor student progress toward completion of a degree or certificate. Degree Works shows the degree requirements in the MVCC Catalog and the coursework the student has completed to produce an easy-to-read audit worksheet. The audit is divided into blocks of degree requirements. Checkboxes indicate which requirements have been met.

Who can use Degree Works?

All students who matriculated at Mohawk Valley Community College after Fall 2009 and are using the 2009-2010 or a later catalog can use Degree Works to check their progress toward degree completion. Registered students who are continuing in a major from before Fall 2009 can still use DegreeWorks to check their record against current catalog requirements by using the “What If” feature. (If this is the case, please be sure to check with an advisor about requirements that are specific to the catalog year in which you matriculated.) Non-matriculated students currently taking courses for credit will be able to look at major requirements by using the “What If” feature.

What is the “What-If” feature?

“What-If” is an option on the Audit that allows students to look at how the courses they have taken would apply toward majors other than the one they currently are in.  It does not change your major or your course history; it just allows you to see how your courses would apply if you decided to change your major. It may also used by students matriculated before 2009 to check their progress against the current catalog requirements.

Do I have to be on campus to use Degree Works?

No.  You can access Degree Works from any computer via the Internet.  You access Degree Works through your secure SIRS account.

Is my information confidential?

A. Yes. Only you, your Academic Advisor and authorized staff are able to access your academic information in Degree Works.

Can I register for classes in Degree Works?

No. You will continue to build your course schedule using the options under the Registration Menu in SIRS.

Where should I go if I have questions about what I see in Degree Works?

You should contact your Academic Advisor with any questions about your academic history and your degree requirements.

What is Degree Works Transfer Finder and how is it used?

Transfer Finder is a Degree Works tool that helps students prepare to transfer between SUNY schools. It allows you to see how completed MVCC courses will apply toward a bachelor's degree elsewhere.

For more information about DegreeWorks

Transfer Finder Guide

Contact Information
Payne Hall, Room 159A
1101 Sherman Drive
Utica, NY 13501
Telephone: 315.792.5336
Fax: 315.792.5698

Plumley Complex, Room 130
1101 Floyd Avenue
Rome, NY 13440
Telephone: 315.334.7709
Fax: 315.334.7726