Cross Registration | MVCC | Mohawk Valley Community College
skip to main content
Adjust Font Size

Cross Registration

Students whose home institution is MVCC may register for a course at another SUNY school (a host institution) during the same semester through cross registration. Similarly, students matriculated at another SUNY school may cross register for courses at MVCC. Billing for all courses is processed by the home institution.

Use the link below to complete the SUNY cross registration process. You will need your student ID and PIN.

1. Click the link below
2. Choose your home campus
3. Enter your Student ID and PIN
4. Choose “Requests”
5. Choose “New Request”

SUNY Cross Registration Form

Please allow at least ten days for processing, then confirm with the business office at your home institution that your cross registration is in place. More details are below.



Effective Fall 2017

Mohawk Valley Community College matriculated students may cross-register at another college to take courses and transfer them to complete a required course in your program of study.

Home institution is where you are matriculated (Mohawk Valley Community College)
Host institution is the institution where you seek to take additional courses

There are two agreements at MVCC:

The Mohawk Valley Consortium allows full-time matriculated students to take one course for either Spring or Fall at Utica College or Hamilton College. Students must be full-time taking 12 credit hours at MVCC to take advantage of this consortium. Students must pass the course with a grade of C or better to get credit for the course. Forms are available from the Office of Records and Registration. The form to use is a multi-part form and the Associate Dean needs to approve the course and the Director of Records and Registration/Registrar (or designee) at MVCC must verify enrollment and sign the form. In addition, students using Financial Aid can receive Financial Aid through the Home institution and cannot receive Financial Aid through the Host institution. The form is then presented to the Registrar at the Host institution prior to registering for the course. Mohawk Valley Community College and the other participating institutions reserve the right to deny approval to take a course under this agreement.

SUNY Cross-registration with another SUNY College (64 campuses)

Mohawk Valley Community College supports students who wish to cross-register for a course at another SUNY College.
1. Students must be in good academic standing and be registered for at least half of the credits at their home institution (e.g. enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours at MVCC) to cross-register.
2. Only courses that will transfer into your program will be approved. Credit courses must be applicable toward the student’s degree at Mohawk Valley Community College as a required or elective course for their primary degree or certificate.
3. SUNY cross-registration is offered only for Fall and Spring semesters. Intersession and Summer courses are not included.
4. Credits earned through cross-registration are recorded on the Mohawk Valley transcript as a transfer course. Only courses with grades or C or better will transfer to MVCC.
5. Cross-registered courses do not count towards residency course requirements for graduation.
6. You must have the approval of the Home and the Host institution. You are responsible for ensuring that the courses meet the requirements of your degree.
7. Please be advised that even if you have the permission of the instructor or have satisfied the pre-requisites necessary for enrollment at the Host institution, you still need to fill out the Online SUNY cross-registration form in order to be considered to be officially cross-registered on the course.
8. Registration deadlines vary by college.  Students are responsible for contacting the host institution for registration related dates and deadlines.
9. If you are not enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours applicable to your degree (combined enrollment between your Home and Host institution) by the date in which you incur full liability, you may be disqualified for certain aid programs (e.g. TAP, Excelsior Scholarship, etc.).
10. If you drop a course at your Home institution and your combined load is less than 12 credit hours, then you may be liable as the Financial Aid may have to be adjusted.
11. Student’s submission of the cross-registration form through the secured online form will allow both institutions to communicate to coordinate the cross-registration process. Please have all the information about the course you intend to cross-register (course number, course title, credit hours, etc.) prior to submitting the form.
12. Any immunizations requirements by the Host institutions are the responsibility of the student.
13. Students seeking to register at another Community College must also comply with the Certificate of Residency requirement for the Host College.
14. Cross-registering for a course is the responsibility of the student. Once you submit your online cross-registration form, you must check your email for communications from the Home and the Host institutions.
15. Students must adhere to the Host institution academic policies and procedures like dropping a course, adding a course, withdrawing from the Host institution, attendance, grades, etc. All students taking a course at another SUNY college must abide by all appropriate regulations, honor systems, parking regulations and the like at the host institution.