Motor Vehicle Accident | MVCC | Mohawk Valley Community College
skip to main content
Adjust Font Size

Motor Vehicle Accident

If you are in an accident, you are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to stop and exchange information with the involved drivers. If the accident caused property damage only, then exchange information about your driver license, insurance, and registration with the involved drivers. If a parked vehicle or other property is damaged, or if a domestic animal is injured, you must locate the owner or contact the police.

•If the property damage of any person is $1,001 or more, all the involved drivers are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to file form MV-104 (Report of Motor Vehicle Accident). File form MV-104 with the DMV no more than 10 days after the accident. The DMV can suspend your driver license if you fail to report an accident.

•If a person is injured or killed, you are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to immediately notify the police. All the involved drivers and the police must file an accident report with the DMV. It is a crime to leave the scene of an accident that causes personal injury or death.

•The accident appears on the records of all the involved drivers. An accident listed on your driver record does not indicate that you were at fault. The DMV does not try to determine fault in an accident.


How do I get a copy of my accident report?

•Call or visit the local police agency or precinct where the accident occurred.  Ask the agency if your report is available and what the fee is.

•If the police and/or motorists' reports have already been filed and processed by the DMV, you can use the online Order and Access Accident Reports transaction to locate and access PDF copies of the reports.