News & Releases
Show us your STEAM Meme!
Feb 22, 2017
Have you heard of STEAM?
It is an acronym that combines STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) and the Arts, and the concept is being explored at MVCC by a group of faculty and staff who are interested in the similarities between these two normally divergent educational paths.
That group, MVCC’s STEAM Advisory Committee, is holding a STEAM Meme Contest designed to raise awareness of their work and to encourage development of the STEAM concept at MVCC. The contest will take place March 20-April 10, 2017.
MVCC community members (students, faculty, staff, alumni) are invited to create a STEAM meme that examines any relationship they feel holds value between STEM and the Arts. Participants can then upload their meme to Instagram, using the hashtag #mvsteammeme and tagging @mvcc_steam. The winners of the contest will be determined by Instagram likes and juried by members of the STEAM Advisory Committee. Winning images will be displayed on the MVCC website and printed as posters to be displayed on campus. Prizes and certificates, provided by the MVCC Bookstore, MVCC FABLab and Student Congress, will be awarded.
What is a meme?
To learn more about memes, visit knowyourmeme.com. Here are other links to common types of meme posters:
- Demotivational style: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/demotivational-posters
- Keep calm style: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/keep-calm-and-carry-on
- Upload your meme to Instagram with the hashtag #mvsteammeme and tag @mvcc_steam.
- You also must send a personal message to the Instagram account with your name, faculty/staff/alumni/student status and contact information.
- The photo and text do not have to be original, but the combination of the two must be. Feel free to submit original artwork as well. As long as your meme combines any of the STEM fields with the Arts, it will be considered.
- Five submissions per MVCC community member.
- Appropriate submissions only.
Marketing & Communications
Payne Hall, Office 366
1101 Sherman Drive
Utica, New York 13501
Telephone - 315.792.5330
FAX - 315.731.5856