Supplemental Instruction/Study Groups
This program integrates how-to-learn with what-to-learn. It is designed to prepare students for exams and quizzes by reinforcing the material presented in class.
Supplemental Instruction for students include:
- Gain access to study guides and/or sample tests
- Prepare for quizzes and exams
- Engage in issues relevant to the subject area
- Get exposed to various study techniques
The Learning Common's professional/peer tutoring is available for a variety of academic areas. These services are provided by the students and faculty members of MVCC.
Some of the academic areas covered are:
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Computer Operation & Programming
- Social Sciences (Psychology, Sociology, History & Anthropology)
Students enrolled in any math course, statistics, science, or any other courses involving mathematics are welcome to stop by the Library, 2nd floor of Payne Hall, for math tutoring.
Math tutors are available to help students with a number of tasks, including:
- Preparing for exams and quizzes
- Overcoming homework-related difficulties
- Understanding particular problems or concepts
- Answering calculator-related questions
Study Skills Workshops
In these workshops students gain the skills needed to better prepare for quizzes and exams by learning different methods for taking notes, test-taking strategies, managing time, reading textbooks, and developing college survival skills.
Attend one of these workshops and develop strategies for success.
In addition, computers are available for word processing and using educational software such as MyWritingLab, MyReadingLab, MyMathLab, MyITLab and MyPsychLab. Adaptive computer technology is available for students with disabilities.
Learning Styles & Academic Assets Evaluation
Our professional tutors are trained to support students with all of their learning needs. Tutors will work with students throughout the semester to encourage and support their success. Tutors will help students create a study plan to strengthen their academic skills.
Building relationships and helping students is what we do best, so make an appointment with a tutor today and discover your pathway to academic success at MVCC!
1101 Sherman Drive
Utica, New York 13501
Telephone - 315.792.5517