MVCC provides a free shuttle on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 11:15 AM from the baggage claim at Syracuse Hancock International Airport. For students traveling a long distance, it is recommended that you arrive on August 27 and stay at the Syracuse Airport Best Western Hotel. This way, you will be able to better adjust to the time difference and you will avoid the confusion of missing the shuttle due to flight delays. Click to book your room at this hotel. We will pick up students staying at the hotel first, at 11:00 AM, and then pick up any other students at baggage claim at the airport. We will be wearing MVCC shirts and have a sign that says Welcome to MVCC!
What to bring
- Immigration documents: Please make sure you have your passport, visa, and I-20, and that when you enter the country, the officer marks your I-94 stamp in your passport as F-1, as you will be here on an F-1 student visa. You cannot enter the country as a student without your I-20, so pack this item in your carry-on luggage along with your passport. AFTER arrival in the U.S., please be sure to print your electronic 1-94 card.
- Personal belongings: Winter in upstate NY is cold, so please plan for the weather and snow by packing warm clothes! We will go on a shopping trip during orientation, but you may want to bring any toiletries and other personal items you typically use, along with bed linens (sheets) to sleep in the residence halls.
- Cultural Clothing/Art: We will be having an international festival in the spring so bring traditional attire from your country to share your culture.
PLEASE NOTE: Payment is due upon arrival. Please see the payment options document that was included in your acceptance packet.
- Wire transfer: If you would like to transfer (wire) money from your bank to MVCC’s bank, please plan to start this process BEFORE you leave your home country as it often takes one week or more. All of the information needed to transfer funds is provided on the form. When you do a transfer, please be sure include your name and M# (student ID) that was given to you in your acceptance letter.
- Traveler’s checks: You may pay by traveler’s checks when you arrive, but note that your payment will be approximately $8,800 USD for the semester for on-campus students and $4,700 for off-campus students.
- Credit/debit card: You also may pay by credit or debit card upon arrival, but note that many banks give you a limit on how much you can charge, and often the tuition fee is more than the standard limit. Please contact your bank prior to departure and confirm whether or not they will allow U.S. transactions and, specifically, U.S. transactions over $8,000 USD.
- Orientation dates: August 28 - September 4, 2018.
- During orientation, we cover topics including college resources, residence hall living, and cultural acclimation. In addition, we facilitate placement testing and course scheduling, and there will be a number of trips and social activities. These sessions are mandatory, so please plan on attending for the entire week. If you have a conflict, please contact the International Admissions Office as soon as possible at email@example.com.