FAQs - Current Residents | MVCC | Mohawk Valley Community College
skip to main content
Adjust Font Size

FAQs - Current Residents

Cable TV: Is there Cable TV?

Channel Line-Up

Spectrum cable tv service is provided in all rooms.  You will need to supply your own television and cable cord.  If both roommates bring a TV, a splitter will be needed.  The TV must have QAM tuner, which most televisions, except some bargain brands, now have.  

• (75 )  Digital HD TV Channels
• Showtime And HBO 
• (45) Digital Music channels

24 Hour Cable TV Tech Support:  855-895-5302

1. Press #2 for a cable TV questions

2. When prompted, "I don't have an account."

3. Press "0" for customer care agent.

4. You will need to give the College address and your room number:  1101 Sherman Drive, Utica, NY 13501 

How to Program Channels
The following steps need to be taken upon connecting TV to the CATV Outlet
1.     Make sure your TV is set to "cable" and not "antenna".
2.     Through the TV "menu" functions perform an auto-scan for channels (May take several minutes depending on TV model).
3. If given a choice of STD, HRC, or IRC for auto-scanning options please select STD.

Will my TV work?
Televisions without a QAM digital tuner will need a add on digital tuner box.  An iView 3500STBII Multi-Function Digital Converter Box has been found to work sufficiently. This manufacturer/model is only a suggestion and can be purchased through Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc.


Back to top
Complaint (i.e. noise): Where can I file a complaint?

If you have a complaint, you can file it in several ways:

  • Current issue such as noise: Call the RA on Duty at 315-792-5310.
  • On-going issue such as noise: See an RD and request a link to file an official report.
  • Issue that may also be violating the law, i.e. harassment: See Public Safety in AB109 or call 315-731-5777.

Administrator to contact:  Dennis Gibbons, Associate Dean for Student & Residence Life.  dgibbons@mvcc.edu (315) 792-5657

Back to top
Dates: When are the Move-In Dates & College Breaks

FALL 2019

Start: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 from 12:00 noon - 6:00 p.m. Check-in is in Bellamy Hall.

Thanksgiving 2019:Close: Residence Halls close at 8pm on Tuesday, November 26th.  Students with a class conflict or transportation problems can e-mail housing@mvcc.edu and accommodations will be made until Wednesday, November 27th at 10am.

Open: The Residence Halls will reopen at 12 noon on Sunday, December 1, 2019.

End of Semester

Students with no academic obligation after the last day of class:

December 13th.

Students WITH an academic obligation during the final exams period:

Within 18 hours after last obligations or no later than December 18th at 10:00 a.m., WHICHEVER IS SOONER.

Enjoy the break.



New Students: Monday, January 21, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.  Check-in is in Bellamy Hall.

Returning Students:

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 12 noon – 6:00 p.m. Check- in is in Bellamy Hall.

Spring Break 2019

Closing: Friday, March 8th at 8:00 p.m.

* Anyone with a late afternoon class may stay until 10:00 a.m. on March 10th, if needed.  Please e-mail request to housing@mvcc.edu.

Opening: Sunday, March 17th at 12:00 noon.

End of Semester Spring 2019

Students with no academic obligation after the last day of class:

May 7, 2019 by 8:00 p.m.  - Last day of classes.

Students WITH an academic obligation during the final exams period:

Within 24 hours after last academic obligation or no later than May 10th at 10:00 a.m., WHICHEVER IS SOONER.  Graduates may remain until after the graduation ceremony.

Enjoy the summer.

Back to top
Guest Passes: How do Guest Passes work?

Back to top
ID Card: How do I get a new ID?

Replacement ID Cards are available in the Public Safety Office, AB 109.  The replacement cost is $10.  Students who are not able to pay the replacement cost may request that it be added to College bill.  Two steps must be taken to activate a new ID:

1- Go to the Bellamy Hall Office to have the card activated for front doors.

2- Go to the Dining Services Office in ACC 105 to have the card reactivated and to ensure no one uses your available Hawk Dollars.

Back to top
Keys: What do I do if I lost my keys?

If you lose your keys, we can help.  Do not elect to just leave your door unlocked.  

Repalcement keys 24/7: Bellamy Hall Office OR RA on Duty 315-792-5310

  • If your keys were lost in an unknown location, please request a lock change.
  • There is a $40-$60 key replacement cost.  This cost is not levied for two weeks because many keys are eventually found within that time.
Back to top
Laundry: How does laundry work?

Each Residence Hall has laundry equipment - washers and dryers.  Our campus laundry service provider is MacGray.  Laundry Rooms are located in the basements of North and South Halls and on the first floor of Bellamy Hall.

Monitor Your Laundry Room - Right On-Line
See what washers are available or even if yours is done!  We encourage you to view laundryview.com prior to going to the Laundry Room.  With the great resource, you can check machine availability prior to taking your laundry to the room and, it can text message or e-mail you when your laundry is done. Note:  this webpage is only fully accessible when you connect from the Residence Halls.

Back to top
Lost and Found: Is there a lost and found?

Lost and Found is located in the Office of Public Safety, AB Rooom 109.  We also encourage you to post in the "lost and found" section on the Hawk Life App.

Back to top
Microwave: Can I bring a microwave or is one available?


North & South Halls:  Microwaves are available 24 hours a day in each Residence Hall Basement.

Bellamy Hall:  Gathering Room Microwave: One microwave is allowed in each Gathering Room. The unit must be registered with the R.A. prior to use. No microwave shall exceed 1.1 cubic feet. Microwaves may only be placed on the College provided table students will receive when registering the unit and that table must be used exclusively for the microwave.

Back to top
Packages and Mail: Where do I pick up mail or a package?

Mail Delivery

Each residence hall student receives a mailbox. Mailbox numbers will be distributed during check-in. Mailboxes are located on the second floor of the Alumni College Center. The mail is delivered five times a week

Sending Mail & Packages

You can send mail by putting it in the US Mail box located at the road side of Payne Hall.  You can also bring mail to the Residence Life Office to mail providing it is pre-stamped.  You can mail packages with stamps (13oz limit due to US Mail Regulations) from the College by bringing them to the Residence Life Office.  You can mail packages that have printed postage labels (i.e. purchased on line, a return label, etc.) from any carrier by bringing them to the Residence Life Office.


Receiving Packages

A package list is posted in the Dining Hall and next to the mailboxes daily. To receive your package, you must present your student ID in the Residence Life Office. Students can report to the Residence Life Office in ACC 208 prior to the package arrival in order to authorize the college to sign. You should request anyone sending you mail to address the envelope as follows:

Your Address

Your Name
Box _____ (please don't write "PO Box")
Mohawk Valley Community College
1101 Sherman Drive
Utica, NY 13501-5394

Back to top
Refrigerator: Can I have a refrigerator?


Personal:   You may bring your own refrigerator. Personal refrigerators must be "UL" approved and not exceed 2.7 cubic feet. A 1.6 is recommended. No more than two (2) refrigerators are allowed in any room.

Back to top
Room Change: Can I have a room change?

If there is a roommate conflict, the students should first see their R.A. and they will attempt to resolve any conflicts between the students. If a room change is still requested, the professional Residence Hall staff will make all attempts to honor the request.  Please come to the Bellamy Hall for assistance.

Back to top
Safes: Do I need a room safe?


Today's electronics are small and unfortunately easily stolen. Room Safes, similar to safes you find in hotel rooms, are highly recommended to safeguard your important documents, electronics such as your laptop or tablet and your purse or wallet. These safes can be connected with a security cable and attached to your bed frame. Most students find that they are able to purchase cost effective room safes at retail stores.  Please note that each room does have at least one piece of furniture (i.e. a dresser or closet" equipped with a hasp so that you can easily put a paddlock on it.

Back to top
Trash: Where do I put my trash?
Back to top
Vending Machine: Can I get a Vending Machine refund?

Food Machine: You can get a refund by reporting to the Auxiliary Services Office in the Alumni College Center Room 206.

Pepsi Product Machine: You call the toll free number on the Pepsi Products machine.  If you experience an issue with that, please contact Auxiliary Services Office in the Alumni College Center Room 206.


Back to top
WiFi: Is there WiFi?

24 Hour Technical Support (855) 895-5302
You will need for the call:

  1. Our name: Mohawk Valley Community College
  2. Mac Address  for the item you are calling about
  3. Your credentials paper that was provided to you (the sheet with your password)  See sample.

MVCC Residence Halls are pleased to provide a robust wireless WiFi for the students.  The WiFi is provided by Spectrum.

Where does the wireless cover? All rooms, lounges, public areas and even the exterior quad of the Residence Halls are wireless.

How do I get a wireless access code? Upon arrival, you will be given your own wireless access credentials that will provide  access for the entire semester.   If you did not receive this at check-in or experience an issue, please visit the Residence Life Office in the Alumni College Center Room 208.

How do I activate my wireless? Follow the instructions on your credentials sheet.

How many devices are allowed? Unlimited.

Can I add a browserless device such as a game system? Yes, but because it is browserless and can't go to a landing page, you would contact the 24/7 tech support.

Can I use a personal router?  No, they are not allowed as they interfere with the system.

Back to top
Work Order: How can I submit a Work Order?

Submit a Work Order at: Link


Back to top