Federal Perkins Loans


You have a nine-month grace period after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time status before you must begin repayment.

The College uses the SUNY Student Loan Service Center (SLSC) to service Perkins Loans. They can be reached by phone at 518-525-2626 or by email at SLSC@albany.edu.

  • Pay online: 
    • Payments can be made online; you will need to set up a user account.
  • Pay by mail:

SUNY Student Loan Service Center
P.O. Box 610
Albany, NY 12201-0610

Deferment, Postponement and Cancellation

IMPORTANT: Perkins loans require separate deferment paperwork and will not be included in deferments placed on other loans. Please visit the SUNY SLSC deferment site for information and to print deferment forms.


If you default, it means you failed to make payments on your Perkins Loan according to the terms of your promissory note, the binding legal document you signed at the time you took out your loan. In other words, you failed to make your loan payments as scheduled. Here are some consequences of default:

  • National credit bureaus will be notified of your default, which will harm your credit rating, making it hard to buy a car or a house.
  • You will be ineligible for additional federal student aid if you decide to return to school.
  • You will have to pay late fees and collection costs on top of what you already owe.
  • You can be sued.
  • A hold will be placed on your student account which will prevent you from receiving transcripts and scheduling for future semesters.


Perkins Loans can be consolidated with Stafford loans through Direct Loan Consolidation. The phone number is 1-800-557-7392. You must specify that you have a Perkins Loan or it may be overlooked.

Exit Interview

Once you are no longer attending the College or are enrolled less than half-time, you will receive a link to your Perkins Exit Interview paperwork through email. The Perkins Exit Interview is not the same as the online exit interviews that are completed for Stafford loans.

Additional Resources

To access information about all of your federal loans, go to nslds.ed.gov.

Perkins Loan Contact

Stacy Kenyon, MVCC Business Office

(315) 792-5311