Financial Aid FAQ's | MVCC | Mohawk Valley Community College
skip to main content
Adjust Font Size

Financial Aid FAQ's

How often do I need to file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)?

The FAFSA is filed for each academic year ( The academic year at MVCC begins with the summer semester, and includes, Fall and Spring of the next year (ex: Summer 2018, Fall 2018, Spring 2019 = the academic year).

Back to top
Does it cost anything to file for Financial Aid?

No, the FASFA is the FREE Application for Federal Student Aid and the New York State TAP program is free as well (

Back to top
What is the fax number?

Fax number is 315-731-5852

Back to top
What codes do I need to know for filing a Financial Aid application?

The MVCC Federal code is 002871, and the New York State code for TAP is 2105.

Back to top
I live on my own and pay my own expenses. Do I need to include parent information on the FAFSA?

Unless you are 24 years or older, parent information is required. The federal government understands that many students fall into this category, however, with limited funds, they must set criteria. This does not apply if you are married, or have children that you financially support 51% or more. If you are a ward of the court, or if someone had legal guardianship of you, please make sure you check yes to that answer on the FAFSA and provide us with the required documentation.

If you have unusual circumstances that you feel may qualify you as an independent student, please review and complete the form that is available on our website.

Back to top
If my parents are divorced or separated, which parent should complete the information on the FAFSA?

The information of the custodial parent should be included regardless of which parent claimed the student as an exemption for tax purposes. If the student has lived equally with each parent or didn’t live with either one, then the information reported should be for the parent who last provided the most support.

Back to top
My family’s financial situation has changed since taxes were last filed. Is there anything we can do?

Yes, there is a Special Condition form located on our website which will explain what the office needs to make a possible adjustment to the financial aid that can be awarded. Not all adjustments will make a difference, but we will do our best to take all circumstances into account.

Back to top
If I have enough financial aid, will it cover my books at the beginning of the semester?

Yes, if your financial aid has been finalized (we have received all necessary paperwork) and the pending aid is enough to cover tuition, fees and other expenses, the bookstore will set up a book voucher for you to use.

You do not need to go to the financial aid office for this, simply bring your student id to the bookstore, and they will assist you. Generally books can be purchase with financial aid credit two weeks before the semester begins.

Back to top
If I only want a student loan, do I need to complete the FAFSA?

Yes – the FAFSA is your application for all Federal financial aid programs which include: PELL, SEOG, Federal Work Study, and Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized student loans.

Back to top
Can I use my Pell Grant and Federal Student Direct Loan to pay for summer classes?

Yes.  Federal Aid Programs (PELL and Loans) can be used to cover your summer classes.  To be eligible for aid, the classes you are taking must be required for your program of study.  You must have filed your current year FAFSA and complete a summer aid application for the Pell Grant and/or the Federal Direct Student Loan which can be obtained at the Financial Aid Office or found on the Financial Aid Website.  All application should be submitted to the Financial Aid Office at least one week before the summer payment is due.

Back to top