FABLab Safety Protocol
Safety is a top priority in the MVCC FABLab. Remember, your safety is your responsibility. If you are ever in doubt about what to do, ask the FABLab Supervisor.
Here are the rules for staying safe while using the FABLab:
- No individual is allowed to operate any equipment without the proper required training.
- No individual is allowed to operate any equipment without a FABLab Supervisor present.
- Safety glasses are to be worn at all times when any equipment or machines are being set up or are in operation, or when maintenance is being performed on the equipment.
- Always wear appropriate clothing when operating the equipment. Not allowed: Neckties, shorts, flip-flops, sandals, open-toed shoes, loose-fitting clothing, clothing with chains or pull ties, lanyards, winter jackets, and clothing with flowing sleeves.
- Remove all jewelry, including watches, rings, bracelets, long or dangling earrings, and necklaces, which could get caught in the equipment.
- Long hair must be tied back at all times when operating the equipment.
- Closed-toed shoes must be worn at all times when operating the equipment.
- Hearing protection is required for all when certain machines are in operation, such as the CNC Router.
- Be aware of the potential hazards associated with each piece of equipment in the FABLab.
- Know the proper procedure to power on/off equipment under normal and emergency conditions.
- Remember to check that the equipment/machine is set up properly for safe operation, and that all tools and individuals are a safe distance away.