Tobacco Free Policy- FAQ
- Are other colleges and universities smoke-free?
- Are there designated smoking areas on campus?
- Can I smoke inside my vehicle if it is parked in a college lot?
- Does this policy apply to all tobacco, cigars, pipes, even chewing/spit tobacco?
- Does this policy apply to smoking cessation products?
- How will the Tobacco-Free Campus policy be implemented and enforced?
- What repercussions will I face if I am caught smoking on campus?
- When does the Tobacco-Free Campus policy start?
- Where can I get smoking cessation support?
- Whom does this policy affect?
Yes. At the time this policy was announced, SUNY and New York State have called for the ban of tobacco use from all 64 SUNY campuses. To date more than 60 colleges in New York have banned tobacco use.
No. MVCC’s campuses are tobacco-free as of Aug. 15, 2016. Smoking areas/shelters are not designated anywhere on campus grounds.
No. All tobacco materials must be discarded appropriately before coming to campus. Please respect local laws regarding trespassing and littering.
Yes. All forms of tobacco use and smoking products are affected in this policy.
No. Smoking cessation products specifically approved by the Food and Drug Administration are exempt from the policy.
MVCC’s primary goal is to achieve voluntary compliance with the tobacco-free policy by educating the college community about this policy. We also will provide smoking cessation assistance to faculty, staff, and students who wish to stop smoking. All members of the college community are responsible for respectfully communicating the policy to faculty, staff, students, and visitors. Faculty, staff, students, and visitors who observe individuals using tobacco on college property are encouraged and empowered to respectfully explain that its use is prohibited or to address violation of the policy through the Public Safety Department or the Human Resources Department.
Violations will be handled through the respective disciplinary processes for students and employees or, in the case of visitors, Events Office procedures.
Visitors who continue to violate the policy following a warning may be escorted off campus.
Monday, Aug. 15, 2016
Students may contact the MVCC Health Center and employees may contact the Office of Human Resources. A variety of resources are available online at http://www.nysmokefree.com
All MVCC and affiliates’ employees, students, contractors, vendors, and visitors must abide by the policy.