Welcome to college! While starting this next chapter of your life is exciting, it can also be overwhelming and stressful. You may find yourself suddenly juggling schoolwork in addition to studying, working and spending time with family and friends. Or maybe you are living away from home for the first time, away from family and friends, sharing your room with a stranger.
The counselors at MVCC are here to help you cope with the adjustments and demands of college life. They understand that learning doesn’t just take place in the classroom, and that college is a time when you may be learning some new things about yourself, as well as the world around you.
Some of the services offered:
- Help in learning to build healthy relationships with your family, parents, peers, bosses, and romantic partners.
- Help in learning new academic and personal skills that will help in your college career, such as time management and life planning.
- Help in navigating your new surroundings, such as finding houses of faith, community groups and restaurants that may help you feel more at home.
The Counseling Center is in the Payne Hall Student Services Center in Utica, and in Plumley Complex 130 in Rome. To make an appointment, call 315-792-5326 in Utica, or 315-334-7709 in Rome. Walk-ins also are welcome.
The following resources are offered as options and are not meant to replace discussions with a counselor.
- ULifeLine: the Online Behavioral Support System for Young Adults
- The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders
- Mental Health Matters
- Alcohol Screening
- Start Your Recovery
- The Trevor Project -- crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay,bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth.
Student Development & Transition Services
Student Services Center
Phone: (315) 792-5326
Plumley Complex A30
Phone: (315) 334-7709