Who can participate in the SUNY Apprenticeship Program?
- Are you 18 years old or older? (no maximum age limit)
- Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent?
If you are looking to start an apprenticeship, these are the main requirements to begin your career. Of course you need to have a strong work ethic, but most importantly a willingness and desire to learn and work in the trade you choose.Please watch the following video provided by HMO Working Solutions that shows how an apprenticeship program may be right for your future.
After you decide that apprenticeship is right for you, you should consider the following:
- Search NY's Job Bank. We list all apprenticeship openings in the Job Bank
- Respond to a press release. Large sponsors that hold a public recruitment will announce this in a press release
- Contact an organization in your area that trains through apprenticeship
- Find an employer in your occupational field who might be interested in training through apprenticeship
Only apprenticeship programs officially registered with the New York State Department of Labor are recognized nationally. Only these programs can offer a Certificate of Completion to the apprentice at the conclusion of the approved training.
For the list of trades that have been approved please visit the Active Trades at New York State Department of Labor (NYSDOL)