Surgical Technician Certificate
Welcome to Surgical Technology at MVCC!
Surgical technicians are key members of
the team that assists surgeries. They work closely with surgeons, registered nurses, anesthesiologists, and other hospital personnel. They work with surgical equipment, operating room setup, and patient preparation and transport.
Employment for surgical technicians is forecasted to grow faster than other jobs. With MVCC’s Surgical Technician ABHES Accredited Certificate Program, you can be ready to compete for these jobs as little as one year. The program is designed for people interested in performing the duties of a surgical technician, offering experienced faculty, hands-on experience, and the best allied health education in the Mohawk Valley. Graduates are prepared as entry-level practitioners in surgical technology to work in operating room suites assisting in the preparation of supplies and the delivery of care to the surgical patient.
- For a course list.
- For an advisement form.
- For a list of entry level competencies.
- Professional liability and accident insurance, available through the college, is required and payable at registration.
- Students must provide their own transportation to and from the assigned health care agency for externships.
- Health Care Provider CPR must be kept current while attending the program.
- A dress code exists and identified items (protective eyewear, picture ID, lab coat, “sturdy” shoes and support hose) are required before entering AH120 Surgical Technician Clinical Seminar. Students are required to purchase “scrubs.”
- A Minimum grade of C (75) is required in all Surgical Technician specific courses and a minimum grade of C (70) is required in Human Anatomy & Physiology 1 and 2.
- Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 to be eligible to graduate from this program.
- Graduation from the Surgical Technician program does not guarantee national certification at this time.
- Students with legal charges pending or who have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor may have their credentialing delayed or denied.
- Credit by examination or credit for life time experience is not an option for any Surgical Technician or Human Anatomy & Physiology 1 and 2 courses.
- Students may be subject to criminal background checks and/or blood screening tests at their own cost.
The following requirements must be met before acceptance into the program:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of the MVCC placement test with a minimum score of 18 or MA045 or MA050. The MVCC math placement test is based on content presented in high school math Course I or Course A. This prerequisite must be within the last 10 years.
- High school chemistry with a laboratory component or its equivalent with a minimum course grade of 70 within the last 10 years.
- High school biology or its equivalent is recommended.
- Prerequisites taken at MVCC or at other institutions must have a minimum grade of C (75) within the last 10 years.
- Proof of current Health Care Provider CPR certification must be on file.
- The Health Physical Assessment form must be completed and on file by July 1 for fall admission.
- To schedule an appointment with a Health Care Advisor, please call our Advisement Office at 315.792.5608.
Surgical Technician Certification Pass Rate
|Mohawk Valley Community College||63%||100%||92%|