Surgical Technician Certificate
Welcome to Surgical Technology at MVCC!
Surgical technicians are key members of
the team that assists surgeries. They work closely with surgeons, registered nurses, anesthesiologists, and other hospital personnel. They work with surgical equipment, operating room setup, and patient preparation and transport.
Employment for surgical technicians is forecasted to grow faster than other jobs. With MVCC’s Surgical Technician ABHES Accredited Certificate Program, you can be ready to compete for these jobs as little as one year. The program is designed for people interested in performing the duties of a surgical technician, offering experienced faculty, hands-on experience, and the best allied health education in the Mohawk Valley. Graduates are prepared as entry-level practitioners in surgical technology to work in operating room suites assisting in the preparation of supplies and the delivery of care to the surgical patient.
- For a course list.
- For an advisement form.
- For a list of entry level competencies.
- Professional liability and accident insurance, available through the college, is required and payable at registration.
- Students must provide their own transportation to and from the assigned health care agency for externships.
- Health Care Provider CPR must be kept current while attending the program.
- A dress code exists and identified items (protective eyewear, picture ID, lab coat, “sturdy” shoes and support hose) are required before entering AH120 Surgical Technician Clinical Seminar. Students are required to purchase “scrubs.”
- A Minimum grade of C (75) is required in all Surgical Technician specific courses and a minimum grade of C (70) is required in Human Anatomy & Physiology 1 and 2.
- Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 to be eligible to graduate from this program.
- Graduation from the Surgical Technician program does not guarantee national certification at this time.
- Students with legal charges pending or who have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor may have their credentialing delayed or denied.
- Credit by examination or credit for life time experience is not an option for any Surgical Technician or Human Anatomy & Physiology 1 and 2 courses.
- Students may be subject to criminal background checks and/or blood screening tests at their own cost.
The following requirements must be met before acceptance into the program:
- Minimum qualification: High school diploma or its equivalent AND
The most recent of the following:
• A current overall college grade point average (GPA) of 2.80 (minimum of 12 or more credits)
• High school average of 80
- Math: An SAT math score of 530 or higher on the new SAT (500 or higher on the old SAT) OR an ACT math score of 19 or higher OR an appropriate math placement test score OR a grade of “C” or better in a MVCC MA090, MA091, MA110, MA108, MA115, or comparable mathematics course taken within seven years.
- Biology: High school biology with a lab and a final grade of 70 or higher taken within seven years OR a grade of "C" or better in an equivalent college biology course with a lab taken within seven years.
- Recommended but not required:
Chemistry: High school chemistry with a lab and a final grade of 70 or higher taken within seven years OR a grade of "C" or better in CH111 & CH 112 or CH 131 or equivalent taken within seven years.
Please note: If you have successfully completed BI216 or BI217 at MVCC with a grade of “C” or higher or completed an approved college level Anatomy and Physiology course taken within seven (7) years at another college, you may be exempt from the Biology requirement for consideration of entry in to the Surgical Technology program.
Applicants may have no more than one repeat (F, D or W) in any of the above prerequisite college courses within five years of applying to the Surgical Technology program
Applicants who have received a “D”, “F”, or “W” for any of the following courses at MVCC or at any other college will be ineligible to apply to the Surgical Technology program:
- Human Anatomy & Physiology 1
- Human Anatomy & Physiology 2
- any Surgical Technology course
- Any student who has been unsuccessful in one Surgical Technology course or Human Anatomy & Physiology I and/or II will be dropped from the program. Any student who has been unsuccessful at another college/Surgical Technology program will not be eligible for admission to the Surgical Technology Program
- Proof of current Health Care Provider CPR certification must be on file.
- The Health Physical Assessment form must be completed and on file by July 1 for fall admission.
- To schedule an appointment with a Health Care Advisor, please call our Advisement Office at 315.792.5608.
Surgical Technician Certification Pass Rate
|Mohawk Valley Community College||100%||63%||100%||92%|