Individuals wishing to enter the Police Pre-Employment Training Program must meet the following requirements prior to being considered for the program:
- Be a citizen of the United States of America or lawfully reside within the United States
- Be at least 20 years old at the start of the program.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony
- Possess either a high school diploma or a General Education Diploma (GED)
- Meet the physical fitness requirement
Once all the above requirements are met, an individual would need to:
- Be medically evaluated to determine if they are physically able to participate in training
- Successfully complete a board interview
- Be willing to sign the “Student Warning Notice” that explains the actual value of Police Pre-Employment Training
- If accepted, follow all rules as described in the Rules and Regulations of Police Pre-Employment Training
- If accepted, a student may miss no more than 10% of classes, and may miss no classes in which attendance is mandated by the State of New York.