Ready to Apply?Start the application process now!
MVCC's Liberal Arts & Sciences: Theater Associate in Arts degree program locates itself between the general Liberal Arts & Sciences program and a specialized theater program. It provides students the first two years of preparation for a transfer to a drama (literature) or theater (acting or technical theater) program while maintaining a liberal arts base. It uses the College's state-of-the-art, 450-seat theater, which serves as a classroom, lecture hall, technical laboratory, and a venue for student, faculty, and community theater work. Students experience the ensemble nature of the theater production process, and are introduced to the components: actor, director, designer, etc. They examine dramatic texts as literature and scripts for performance, develop an understanding of the theory and practice of acting, develop an awareness of the basics of technical theater, and participate in activities as part of student, faculty, and community theater projects.
Upon completion of the two-year program, students should be competent in the following areas:
- Interpersonal and public communication skills appropriate to the field of theater
- Effective communication using written, oral, and physical modes of expression in the liberal arts and theater traditions
- Creating and delivering written discourse using expressive, informative and persuasive aims
- Non-verbal communication for communicating ideas
- Interpreting theatrical texts in a practical (production based) and critical (literary based) fashion
- Practical approaches to theatrical production in acting, directing or technical applications
- An understanding of the nature of diversity and its relationship to the liberal arts
- An understanding of the historical and current contributions of the culturally diverse theatrical tradition