MVCC's Digital Animation Associate in Applied Science degree prepares students for career or transfer in the area of digital animation. Digital animators create graphics for entertainment, advertising, special effects, education, science, information technologies, and the Internet. Traditional animation techniques, including cell animation, claymation, paper graphics, scratch-on, and puppet animations, are being used in the profession. New digital animation effects, software, and hardware are developed every year. Animators must learn about and master these new technologies. Before graduation, students in Digital Animation must develop proficiency in both traditional and digital animation techniques. Team-building and professional portfolio development prepare students for the digital workplace.
Upon completion of the 2-year program, students should be competent in all of the following areas:
- Producing and recording a demo reel using video editing software and equipment
- Researching and producing projects beyond their routine interests
- Creating a quality portfolio consistent with industry practices and standards
- Critiquing the aesthetic value of their work as well as that of others
- File management
- Software packages pertinent to digital animation
- Selecting various frame rates and corresponding time configurations
Prerequisites: One High School Mathematics Course or its equivalent is required.
Click here for a complete course list.