Call MVCC Admissions
Apply to MVCC
Or just looking to take a class?
WeldingTotal Credit Hours: 34
This certificate prepares individuals for actual welding work using welding processes and techniques, while preparing for the New York State Certification Examination.
Goals & Outcomes
Goal 1. To prepare the students to enter the welding field and to become positive role models in the welding field
- 1a. The graduates will be prepared to be employed in the welding (or related) field within 1 years of graduation.
- 2a. The students will demonstrate the ability to select appropriate tools and welding supplies and equipment.
- 2b. The students will be able to interpret mechanical drawings and determine steps needed to weld a product.
- 2c. Students will complete various welding tasks.
- 3a. The students will demonstrate effective interaction with others by participating in and completing group projects.
- 4a. The students will demonstrate communication skills by participating in and completing group projects.
- 4b. The students will demonstrate the ability to clearly describe welding technology issues in an oral or written presentation.
- 5a. The student will demonstrate quantitative skills directly applicable to welding problems.
- 5b. The student will demonstrate the ability to setup and weld parts using MIG, TIG and Arc welding techniques.
- 6a. Students will use traditional and contemporary information technology.
- 6b. Students will identify, access, and appropriately use authoritative sources of information.
Plan of Study:
MT170 Oxy-Acetyl Wld Pr
This course covers the theory, methods, and use of acetylene equipment to oxy-weld and cut in all positions. Welding supply fee required. See when this course is offered ...
MT174 Elec Arc Weld Pro
This course provides proficiency in oxy-acetylene welding procedures, including the theory and use of electric arc welding. Topics include welding ferrous and nonferrous metals in all positions, and the theory of pipe design and cutting. Welding supply fee required. See when this course is offered ...
MT270 Weld Pro-Mig&Tig
This course covers the theory and use of TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) and MIG (Gas Metallic Arc) welding, including non-ferrous and ferrous metals in all positions. Topics include plasma welding, cutting, and safety procedures. Prerequisite: MT170 Oxy-Acetylene Welding Procedures. Welding supply fee required. See when this course is offered ...
MT273 Welding Certification
This course discusses welding codes. Topics include set regulations covering permissible materials, service limitations, fabrication, inspection, testing procedures, and qualifications of welding operations. Emphasis is placed on preparation for the New York State Welding Certificate Exam. Welding supply fee required. Prerequisite: MT272 Advanced Electric Arc Welding Procedures. See when this course is offered ...
MT277 Weld Bluprnt&Metl
This course covers weldment design factors. Topics include the interpretation of trade drawings, as well as the specification and use of welding symbols. Welding supply fee required. See when this course is offered ...
MT272 Adv Elec Arc Weld
This course continues with instruction of the principles and practices of gas arc (TIG) and gas metallic arc (MIG) welding on ferrous and non-ferrous metals and pipe. Topics include special arc cutting techniques such as air carbon arc, oxygen arc, underwater cutting, plasma cutting, along with theory and safety. Welding supply fee required. Prerequisite: MT174 Electric Arc Welding Procedures. See when this course is offered ...
MT276 Weld/Or Irn&Blksm
This course covers the design and fabrication of wrought iron and sculpture. Topics include the theory of blacksmithing and the use of the forge on various metals. Safety is stressed. Welding supply fee required. See when this course is offered ...
MT278 Weldng Insp&QC Test
This course presents the American Welding Society standards. Topics include the standards of testing of welds, preparation of test samples, methods of inspection and quality control, and fundamentals and interpretations of the American Welding Society, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and the American National Standards Institute welding codes. Welding supply fee required. See when this course is offered ...