Advising Questions and Answers | MVCC | Mohawk Valley Community College
skip to main content
Adjust Font Size

Questions and Answers: Academic Advisement

Advising and Advisors

Who is my advisor?

The majority of our students are assigned to faculty advisors based upon their major.  You can find out who your advisor is by checking your DegreeWorks audit.


Will my advisor tell me what courses to take?

Your advisor will help you to clarify your educational, career, and life goals as well as assist you in selecting the most appropriate courses to meet your needs.  Both students and advisors have important roles and responsibilities in the advising process.  Ultimately, you are the one who schedules and registers for your courses.


Is advisement required and do I have to see an advisor?

When you first begin an academic program at MVCC, you will need to see an advisor.  The advisor will help you interpret your DegreeWorks audit in your SIRS account.  Your Degreeworks audit is a tool you can use to stay on track toward your degree or certificate.  We recommend that you see your advisor at least once per semester, and especially prior to scheduling your next term’s courses.


When should I meet with my advisor?

You should meet with your advisor whenever you have a question about academic issues, your plan of study, campus resources, or possible graduation.  You should also meet with your advisor every semester before you register for classes.


Can I request a new advisor?

If schedules or other issues make it difficult for you to meet with your advisor, you can request a change by filling out a New Advisor Request Form.

Registration and Withdrawal

When and where is course information available?

MVCC courses are listed in our online course search.  You can search by campus or academic department. It is usually possible to view at least one semester in advance.  In general, the schedule for Fall is available the previous March, and the schedule for Spring is available the previous October.


After I have registered, is there anything else I need to do?

Yes, you need to secure your classes with the Business Office.  Whether you use financial aid, pay by E-Cashier (online payment or payment plan), credit card, check, cash, or third party payer such as an employer, you always need to secure your schedule by notifying the Business Office of how you will be paying.


Is it too late for me to add or drop a class?

You can drop a course until the last day to withdraw on the Academic Calendar.  However you should check with the Financial Aid office about whether withdrawal from a course will affect your full-time status for financial aid eligibility.  You may add a course to your schedule during the first week of the semester without any special permission.  After the first week, you need the instructor's signature.  After the second week, you need the signature of both the instructor and the academic Department Head.

Academic Policies

What is the difference between billing hours and credit hours on my schedule?

Billing hours includes non-credit courses such as preparatory math, reading, chemistry, and writing.  These courses do not offer college credit or count toward your degree.  However, they do count toward your tuition bill, and they count as part of your course load for the purposes of financial aid eligibility.


Why do I have to take a non-credit course?

Based on your placement test results and the requirements of your degree or certificate program, you may be required to take preparatory non-credit courses.  The purpose is to help students strengthen skills in critical areas so that they will be successful in subsequent credit bearing coursework.


If I repeat a course, does the higher grade count?

The higher grade will count in your GPA. However both grades appear on your MVCC transcript.  Students should be aware that repeating a course when a passing grade was received (D or above) could affect financial aid eligibility.  Be sure to consult a financial aid counselor or academic advisor.


Online Chat

Jennifer DeWeerth
Associate Dean of Student Enrollment and Retention Services


Utica - Payne Hall 104B
Rome - Plumley Complex A30

Phone (Utica): (315) 731-5710
Phone (Rome): (315) 334-7709
Fax: (315) 792-5696

Email - Advisement