STEP is a New York State Department of Education grant-funded enrichment initiative designed:
- to foster academic excellence
- to nurture students' preparation for college
- to cultivate student independence
- to enhance students' college experience
- to increase awareness and opportunities for historically underrepresented, economically disadvantaged youth in math, science, technology, and health related fields
- for those seeking professional licensure
- for those in pre-professional or professional undergraduate study
STEP students will:
- be open to new experiences in regard to their future opportunities in college and in math, science, health, technology and in licensed professions.
- participate in internships, job shadowing, weekly tutorial services, research projects for poster presentations, monthly professional speaker series, college visits, academic/personal/career advisement, counseling, and workshops and seminars. Eligible participants must be members of historically underrepresented populations: African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American/Alaskan or economically disadvantaged; a U.S. citizen or permanent New York State resident; maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5.