Welcome to the Office of Transfer Services!
The Office of Transfer Services is dedicated to assisting new and continuing students discover their career and educational goals. We strive to help students with difficult decisions by offering programs and assistance related to transfer preparation and the transfer process. We realize that transfer planning can be quite complex, so we strive to help you find your way through the process.
The Office of Transfer Services has a dedicated full-time professional to offer various services to you that can assist with the process of transferring. These services include:
- Transfer 101 Workshops
- Transfer Fairs (one each Semester)
- A Transfer Resource Library
- Instant Admit Days
- Articulation Agreements
- Advisor-In-Residence Visits
- Individual Transfer Counseling
-Guidance in selecting a transfer school
Mission for the Office of Transfer Services:
The Office of Transfer Services fosters a supportive environment that assists students with their journey of self-exploration and provides students with the ability to make a successful transition. Through this philosophy we work to empower students to develop comprehensive educational and lifelong career goals that are aligned with each student’s individual values to promote student success.
Vision for the Office of Transfer Services:
The Office of Transfer Services strives to inspire student potential through the elimination of barriers induced by limitations of knowledge and experiences. Through exploration and reflection, we hope to enable students to look within themselves to uncover hidden potential in order to thrive in a globally diverse society.
Suggested Steps for Transferring
- Visit the Transfer Services office located in Payne Hall 104B and make an appointment with the Coordinator of Transfer Services.
- Identify your career path. Learn how your major relates to your career goal. Make an appointment with our Career counselor.
- Research schools that have the major(s) that you are interested in.
- Make your academic advisor aware of your long term goals so they can better assist you.
- Visit with transfer college representatives when they visit MVCC. Transfer Fairs are usually held in October and April. Learn about prerequisites that you can complete before transferring.
- Examine specific transfer agreements we currently have with many four-year colleges.
- Begin saving all college course outlines and class syllabi.
- Become involved in campus activities.
- Visit potential transfer colleges at Transfer Open House Programs (check college websites for dates, information, registration etc.).
- Begin more in depth research of transfer colleges.
- E-mail or write to colleges to obtain information, catalogs, applications, etc.
- Complete your research process of transfer schools.
- Apply to at least 3-5 transfer colleges.
- Keep detailed records of all contacts, and make copies of all documents you send.
- Apply early! Don't miss important deadlines for scholarships or competitive transfer programs.
- Apply on-line (if applicable). Seek assistance with your application from the Coordinator of Transfer Services.
- Apply for MVCC Scholarships, if eligible.
- Obtain all supporting documents and send to your college of choice. (High school transcript, official college transcripts, SAT/ACT scores, AP/CLEP test scores.)
- January--submit FAFSA to be considered for federal need or merit-based programs. If attending a NYS school, make sure to fill out your TAP application as well.
- All documents for financial aid usually need to be submitted by March1st for the next academic year.
- Don't assume because you did not qualify for financial aid at MVCC that you won't qualify for aid at your transfer institution! Check with your transfer school financial aid office for deadlines and other pertinent information.
- Follow-up promptly on all requests for additional information.
- Bring transfer questions to the Coordinator of Transfer Services.
- Send in deposits. Apply for housing early if planning on living on campus!
- Don't forget to send in your final transcript with degree posted from MVCC to your transfer school.
- Try to attend summer transfer orientation and registration (bring MVCC catalog and course outlines of classes you have taken).
- Submit your health documents early (proof of immunizations can be forwarded from MVCC's health office).
- Enjoy your new college and have fun!!
Coordinator of Transfer Services
Student Development &
Office of Transfer Services
104D Payne Hall
1101 Sherman Drive
Utica, NY 13501