Disciplinary Appeals Committee
Purpose Statement: The purpose of the Disciplinary Appeals Committee is to ensure students the right of due process; providing for a fair, timely and impartial hearing.
Charter Sponsor: College Senate
Charter Contact: VP Student Services/Dean of Students
- 2 Classified staff
- 4 Faculty
- 2 Professional and/or administrative staff
- 2-3 Residence Hall students
- 2-3 Commuter students
Individual Board Members SHOULD
- Be knowledgeable of campus regulations as outlined in the Student Handbook.
- Share availability with the Chairperson.
- Attend a hearing upon Chairperson’s request.
- Safeguard all hearing documents.
- Review packet before hearing.
- Participate in hearing by listening attentively and asking clarification questions.
- Participate in Board’s decision discussion.
- Ensure confidentiality by not discussing any aspect of the hearing with anyone except fellow Board members.
- Agree to step down from any case where a conflict of interest or bias may be perceived.
The Board, Individually and As a Whole DOES NOT
- Engage in conversation with petitioner or Conduct Officer outside of the formal hearing.
- Act as investigators.
- Interrogate the individual.
- Recommend policy changes to Conduct Officers.
- Speak to any third party including parents or attorneys.
- Safety of the entire campus community; students and staff must be taken into account during deliberations and when speaking to witnesses.
- Be professional in the hearing and the deliberations.
- Think beyond the sanction – try to make it an educational experience, when possible and reasonable.
- The College recognizes the need to utilize progressive discipline when adjudicating incidents.