Traffic and Parking

Speed Limit Image

Traffic and parking regulations at Mohawk Valley Community College are designed to maintain an orderly flow of traffic and to obtain maximum benefit from existing parking facilities. The campus roads are used for pedestrian and vehicular traffic, and it is necessary that all vehicles be operated at or below the posted speed limit of 15 m.p.h. at all times. All vehicles must be registered with the Public Safety Departmentand. Any faculty, staff, students, and visitors that drive and park on campus are required to read and abide by the MVCC Traffic & Parking Regulations Handbook. Copies of this are available at the Public Safety Office. Students are not permitted to park in Staff or Faculty lots at any time unless authorized by proper signage. All traffic rules and regulations are enforced 12 months a year.

New York prohibits all drivers from using portable electronic devices.

Illegal activity includes holding an electronic device and:
•Composing, sending, reading, accessing, browsing, transmitting, saving, or retrieving electronic data such as e-mail, text messages, or webpages
•Viewing, taking, or transmitting images
•Playing games

The penalty for a violation of this law shall be a fine of up to $150 and 3 driver penalty points. It is a primary law, which means an officer may stop you if you are observed using a hand held device. The law does not penalize drivers using a handheld electronic device that is affixed to a vehicle surface or using a GPS device that is attached to the vehicle, or if drivers are using a handheld device to report an emergency to the authorities.

The law defines the following terms as:

(a) "Portable electronic device" shall mean any hand-held mobile telephone, as defined by subdivision one of section twelve hundred twenty-five-c of this article, personal digital assistant (PDA), handheld device with mobile data access, laptop computer, pager, broadband personal communication device, two-way messaging device, electronic game, or portable computing device.

(b) "Using" shall mean holding a portable electronic device while viewing, taking or transmitting images, playing games, or composing, sending, reading, viewing, accessing, browsing, transmitting, saving or retrieving e-mail, text messages, or other electronic data.

If You Have an Accident:

If you are in an accident, you are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to stop and exchange information with the involved drivers. If the accident caused property damage only, then exchange information about your driver license, insurance, and registration with the involved drivers. If a parked vehicle or other property is damaged, or if a domestic animal is injured, you must locate the owner or contact the police.

•If the property damage of any person is $1,001 or more, all the involved drivers are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to file form MV-104 (Report of Motor Vehicle Accident). File form MV-104 with the DMV no more than 10 days after the accident. The DMV can suspend your driver license if you fail to report an accident.
•If a person is injured or killed, you are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to immediately notify the police. All the involved drivers and the police must file an accident report with the DMV. It is a crime to leave the scene of an accident that causes personal injury or death.
•The accident appears on the records of all the involved drivers. An accident listed on your driver record does not indicate that you were at fault. The DMV does not try to determine fault in an accident.

How do I get a copy of my accident report?

•Call or visit the local police agency or precinct where the accident occurred.  Ask the agency if your report is available and what the fee is.
- or -
•If the police and/or motorists' reports have already been filed and processed by the DMV, you can use the online Order and Access Accident Reports transaction to locate and access PDF copies of the reports.