RUN: If you suspect a potential active shooter situation, you must quickly determine the most reasonable way to protect your own life. If there is an accessible escape path, attempt to evacuate the premises.
- Have an escape route and plan in mind
- Leave belongings behind
- Help others if possible
- Run regardless if others will follow
- Warn others not to enter active shooter area
- Leave wounded behind
- Keep your hands visible
- Follow instructions of police if on scene.
- Call 911 when safe to do so
HIDE: If an evacuation is not possible, you should find a place to hide where an active shooter is less likely to find you. Block entry to your hiding place and lock the doors. Use heavy items to barricade yourself if possible. Remember to remain quiet and silence your cell phone or pager.
- Be out of shooters view
- Provide protection from gun shots (i.e. an office with closed and locked door)
- Try not to restrict options for movement
- Lock the door
- Barricade the door (i.e. desk, bookcase)
- Use cover, move away from windows
- Silence your cell phone and other electronic devices
- Stay quiet and keep calm
- Cover protects, concealment hides
FIGHT: As a last resort, and only when your life is in imminent danger, you should attempt to incapacitate the shooter by acting with physical aggression and throwing items at the active shooter.
- Act as aggressive as possible
- Use improvised weapons
- Commit to actions
- Do not stop until the threat is over