Placement Testing Exemption Policy
Placement Test Waiver Eligibility:
Students may be exempt from taking certain portions of the placement test if they satisfy the following requirements.
*Please be aware that for some majors the first math course required may be of a higher level than you would place into based on the exemption policy. Students in the majors listed below the exemption policy should plan to take the math placement test regardless of their exemption status:
- A student who scores a minimum of 500 or higher on the math section of the SAT or a minimum of 19 or higher on the ACT would be exempt from the math placement test within a three year period if the student is going to enroll in MA108, MA110, MA115, or MA171.
- If the student is in a program that requires a higher level math course, then the student will be asked to take the math placement test. Programs that require a higher level math include Engineering Science, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Chemical Technology, Environmental Analysis/Chemical Technology, Civil Mechanical Electrical Surveying Technologies, Business Administration, selected Liberal Arts Programs, and Nutrition & Dietetics.
- A student who scores a minimum of 500 or higher on the essay portion of the SAT or a composite English score (English and Writing) of 21 on the ACT will be exempt from our writing placement test. You are automatically placed in EN 101 or EN 110 as prescribed by your program.
- A student who scores a minimum of 500 or higher on the critical reading portion of the SAT or a minimum of a 21 on the Reading section of the ACT will be exempt from taking the reading portion of the placement test. Students who have obtained the minimum score are automatically considered ready for credit-bearing courses that typically are considered reading-intensive (EN102, SO101, PY101, HI101, etc.)
- International students who wish to study at MVCC are not required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or other standardized English proficiency exams. However, students who enter MVCC in the fall 2014 semester or thereafter will be fully admitted into college-level coursework if they submit scores of 500 on TOEFL, 173 on computer-based TOEFL, 61 on TOEFL iBT or 5.5 on IELTS. Scores are on standardized tests are valid for two years, so the the test date must not exceed two years prior to the date of admission.
Please Note: Students who score below 500 on any section of the SAT will be required to take the MVCC placement test in those areas where a minimum score was not obtained. Students who have no SAT scores will be asked to take the entire MVCC Placement test. If a student has completed previous college coursework in English and Math, and obtained a successful grade, then placement testing may not be required.
* the following majors require a math placement test regardless of exemption based on SAT's or ACT's:
- A.A.S. in Chemical Technology
- A.A.S. in Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology
- A.A.S. in Civil Engineering Technology
- A.A.S. in Surveying Technology
- A.A.S. in Building Management and Maintenance
- A.A.S. in Electrical Engineering Technology
- A.A.S in Mechanical Engineering Technology
- A.S. in Engineering Science
- A.A.S. in Environmental Analysis: Chemical Technology
- A.S. in Liberal Arts and Sciences: Mathematics and Science
- A.S. in Computer Science
- A.S. in Liberal Arts and Sciences: Mathematics and Science (Science)
- A.S. in Liberal Arts and Sciences: Mathematics and Science (Bio)
- A.S. in Liberal Arts and Sciences: Mathematics and Science (Chem)
- A.S. in Liberal Arts and Sciences: Mathematics and Science (Physics)
- A.S. in Liberal Arts and Sciences: Mathematics and Science (Forestry)
- A.S. in Nutrition and Dietetics
- A.S. in Business Administration
- A.A.S. in Geospatial Technology
- A.S. in Computer Science: Cybersecurity
- A.S. in Liberal Arts and Sciences: Adolescence Education
- A.S. in Liberal Arts and Sciences: Mathematics and Science (Geology)